Country Representative, Senegal and The Gambia #I4662
PUBLISHED JOB TITLE
Country Representative, Senegal and The Gambia
Country Representative, Senegal and The Gambia
Position Title: Country Representative for Senegal and The Gambia
Department: West Africa/Senegal
Reports To: Regional Director, West Africa Regional Office
Job Location: Dakar
Catholic Relief Services is the official international humanitarian agency of the Catholic community in the United States. CRS works to save, protect, and transform lives in need in more than 100 countries, without regard to race, religion or nationality. CRS’ relief and development work is accomplished through programs of emergency response, HIV, health, agriculture, education, microfinance and peacebuilding.
CRS has been supporting activities in Senegal continuously since 1960 and in The Gambia since 1964, and has long-standing relationships with partners and communities in both countries. The Senegal country program has a diverse funding base with projects in nutrition, community health, WASH, malaria, agricultural livelihoods, microfinance (SILC), migration and peace building. CRS Senegal has project offices in Ziguinchor, and Tambacounda. In The Gambia, CRS manages an important portfolio of Global Fund programs as the main Sub-Recipient for the Malaria grant. CRS also works on issues related to social cohesion, migration and youth inclusion and is looking to increase its agricultural programming. CRS Senegal is also managing outreach programs in Guinea Bissau and Mauritania through national Caritas partners. In all countries, CRS’ has longstanding partnerships with a variety of Catholic and non-Catholic NGOs.
The CRS Country Representative to Senegal and The Gambia is responsible for overall leadership and management of the country offices including stewardship of agency resources, projects, and personnel. The Country Representative is CRS’ principal representative to the Catholic Church in Senegal, The Gambia, and the outreach countries, the Government of Senegal, The Gambia, Mauritania and Guinea Bissau, donors, international organizations, and local civil society organizations. This position requires an individual with strong leadership abilities; representational, communication, and risk management skills; and a facility for developing networks to build partnerships and expand and diversify program resources. S/he will be responsible for the overall coordination and direction of the country program and the outreach countries; provide necessary coaching and supervision for department managers directly under his or her supervision; ensure high quality program design and implementation; ensure efficient management of public grants and private funds for compliance and high-quality reporting; and provide oversight of the financial management systems.
Roles and Key Responsibilities
• Provide leadership at the country program level to ensure staff understand and work towards the long-term vision and strategies of CRS in Senegal,
The Gambia, Mauritania and Guinea Bissau.
• Develop strategies to ensure strong representation to the Church, United States Government, local governments and authorities, international organizations, other donors, international and national PVOs, and other appropriate networks.
• Develop and maintain strong partnerships with local implementing partners such as the Church, other local and international agencies.
• Represent CRS at the highest levels in Senegal, The Gambia, and the outreach countries.
• Seek and pursue opportunities to raise the profile of the work of CRS and its partners, as well as the needs and challenges of our beneficiaries.
• Manage and develop strategic partnerships with the local church; seek out opportunities to pursue and advance common and complementary interests
• Develop strategic alliances with national and international organizations and donors that leverage resources, reputation and expertise
• Responsible for the effective operation and functions of program quality/technical assistance, finance, material resource management, growth, administration, information technology, and audit.
• Ensure that systems are in place to enable CRS Senegal and The Gambia to adhere to agency policies and procedures and that those policies and procedures are understood by all Staff.
• Ensure compliance with donor administrative and financial requirements and US Government OFAC and BIS regulations.
Staff Management and Development:
• Supervise and mentor staff, including development of performance plans and assessment of performance.
• Provide constructive feedback and counsel on appropriate career paths and professional development for CRS staff.
• Oversee the management, coaching and development of national and international staff to build cadre of skilled and committed personnel.
• Ensure diversity in recruitment practices to build a cadre of competent, motivated and committed personnel.
• Encourage principles of a just workplace and promote staff care and well-being.
Security and Emergency Response Management:
• Oversee the management of all security issues, including appropriate response to emergency situations as they arise
• Keep security, evacuation and contingency plans current and revise annually or as necessary and ensure adherence by all CRS staff.
• Supervise emergency responses.
• Brief new staff and visitors on the general context.
• Ensure open communications and encourage principles of a just workplace.
• Maintain a healthy and empowering office environment that encourages honest communication between CRS staff and partners.
• Ensure positive and productive communication with the Episcopal Conference and with the dioceses supported by CRS.
• Ensure open communications with regional management staff, regional technical advisors, and HQ departmental staff.
Strategic Direction, Program Quality and Growth:
• Champion the vison, mission and strategy of the agency, ensure staff and programs align with and further the agency strategy
• Oversea short- and medium-term strategic planning for implementation of high-quality programs.
• Identify opportunities for appropriate expansion and growth of programs and the acquisition and investment of human resources.
• Ensure that management and programming quality standards are upheld and that the country program strategic plan is applied appropriately.
• Provide leadership and direction in the pursuit of strategic growth opportunities; actively engage in pre-positioning and capture planning
• Masters in International Development/Relations or related field
• 10 or more years of progressively responsible experience in PVO leadership and management
• Previous experience managing a large-scale PVO country program
• Proven ability to negotiate and work with local government
• Strong interpersonal, communication and organization skills as well as good judgment, vision and maturity
• Ability to operate successfully amidst complexity and uncertainty
• Demonstrated effectiveness with short- and long-term planning, as well as financial, human resource, and program management
• Experience with institutional strengthening and partnership building helpful
• Ability to work effectively in diverse environments and under pressure
• Demonstrated understanding of the importance of staff development
• Fluency in French and English (Portuguese a plus)
• Familiarity with West Africa is a plus.
• Strong interpersonal, communication and organizational skills as well as good judgment and vision.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills.
• Familiarity and/or appreciation of the social teachings of the Catholic Church and its structure; ability to work well within this framework
• Commitment to the Agency’s mission and strategy
• Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff)
These are rooted in the mission, values, and principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and to achieve the desired results.
• Continuous Improvement & Innovation
• Builds Relationships
• Develops Talent
• Strategic Mindset
• Accountability & Stewardship
• Country Representative Competencies
These are rooted in the mission, values, and principles of CRS and used by each country representative to fulfill his or her responsibilities and to achieve the desired results.
* Leads toward Strategic Results
* Manages Risk and Complexity
* Represents and Partners Strategically
* Champions Learning and Performance
Supervisory Responsibilities: Head of Programming, Head of Operations
Key Working Relationships
Internal: WARO Regional Director, WARO DRD/PQ and DRD/MQ and WARO Regional technical and MQ staff, OO_HQ departments, including IDEA and PIQA, Church Engagement, Charitable Giving, Finance and Human Resources.
External: Catholic Church Officials, Catholic Church agencies, local partner organizations, host country government agencies, donor agencies, international and national non-governmental organizations, UN agencies, foreign governments.
Physical Requirements/Environment: The position is based in Dakar requiring travel 35% of[FC1] time
What we offer
CRS offers a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, life insurance, vision, generous retirement savings plan and the opportunity to work in a collaborative, mission-driven culture that is committed to improving the lives of the poor throughout the world.
***Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. We welcome as a part of our staff people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need. CRS’ processes and policies reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
Disclaimer: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.
CRS’ talent acquisition procedures reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
EOE/M/F/D/V – CRS is an Equal Opportunity Employer. (For all US and International positions)