Call for Proposals: AWDF 16 Days of Activism Against Gender-Based Violence 2018
Deadline: July 20, 2018
The African Women’s Development Fund (AWDF) invites proposals for the 16 Days Against Gender Based Violence. As part of AWDF’s support to the cause to eliminate Violence Against Womnen (VAW), AWDF supports the 16 Days of Activism Against Gender-Based Violence Campaign by awarding grants to women’s organisations in Africa to organise and coordinate activities around the event.
Since its founding by women’s rights activists in 1991, the 16 Days of Activism Campaign has been used as an organising strategy by individuals, groups and women’s rights organisations around the world to call for the elimination of all forms of violence against women. Ending violence against women has been at the centre of the African Women’s Development Fund (AWDF)’s work for several years.
AWDF is therefore putting out a call for proposals for activities to mark 16 Days of Activism Against Gender Based Violence in 2018. In 2018, AWDF will fund small sized women’s rights organisations on the African continent to lend their voice to the campaign as well as participate in activities that will raise awareness and mobilise action around ending all forms of violence against women and girls in universities and other tertiary institutions.
The grant size is US$2,000. Therefore, eligible projects should have a budget of not more than US$2,000 to be supported by AWDF funds. The grant period will be for 4 months from the date of award.
- Must have been in existence for at least 3 years
- Must be duly registered, at least with its local government structure
- Must be led by a woman and have a focus on Women’s Rights
- Must have the needed organisational structures for effective implementation of the project
- Must have an appreciable financial management system to properly account for funds received
- Must be capable of reporting back on the outcomes of the project
- Must be highly recommended by a donor agency, a grantee or partner of AWDF or the local government office
- Must complete the necessary application forms
- Must have an annual budget not more than US$100,000
AWDF will prioritise applications from initiatives led by women students themselves and/or women’s rights organisations working closely with women’s student groups and movements in educational institutions.
They also encourage innovation- so send in your great ideas. Projects may include activities that;
- Promote the development and implementation of university policies and action plans on how to address all types of violence on campus, to foster a safe and discrimination free learning environment.
- Prevention of discrimination and sexual harassment in educational contexts
- Improve safety on campus and off -campus
- Initiatives that address non-violent conflict resolution, shifting harmful gender norms, power inequalities and dynamics on campus
- Create a gender aware safe and effective reporting and counselling system that gives effective support to survivors of VAWG.
- Empower women students to assert themselves and prevent themselves from violation and to seek assistance when violations occur
- Research on the drivers, risks and cultural contexts of VAWG on campus
- Create a movement of students, communities and stakeholders to eliminate VAWG and promote a violence-free, safe space for learning for women and women staff
- Interventions that will focus on involving other key stakeholders (such as lecturers, other staff and student leaders) in the transformation of gender discriminatory norms, attitudes and behaviours.
- Initiatives that would hold educational institutions accountable in their VAWG preventive work
- Mobilise community and stakeholders’ support to prevent VAWG in educational contexts
The current call is opened from 29 June to 20 July 2018. Applicants are to send in proposals with innovative advocacy strategies to address issues around eliminating violence against women and girls in tertiary institutions.
Interested women’s rights organisations should send in their proposals using the required application guidelines to the AWDF secretariat via email to firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com. The applicant must also complete and include a financial management assessment form and an outcome form.
NOTE: Please note that this is a very competitive process. Only successful applicants will be contacted.