Call For Entries: Taipei International Design Award 2018 (NT$ 3,800,000 in prizes)
Deadline: July 25, 2018
The Taipei City Government invites entries for the Taipei International Design Award 2018. This is an open call for outstanding international designs and an effort to shape Taipei into a convergence platform for creative designs. The awards aims to discover creative designs with business potential, and encourage practices of social design in an advocacy that design as a medium can bring humans a better, more pleasant and convenient life.
The Taipei International Design Award is organized in the ethos of “Design for Adaptive City”, as an on-going gesture to the world, particularly to those with a passion for creativeness and design, a gesture in projecting the urban branding imagery of “Design Taipei; Dream Taipei. Taipei City Government has been devoted to shaping Taipei into a city with design visions and has been encouraging designers to contemplate on the meaning of design, to see design as a problem-solving tool, that is, to solve problems inevitably faced by the general public, the society or the city, and to further present Taipei International Design Award in the ethos of “Design for Adaptive City”.
Entries are grouped into three main categories:
- Industrial Design: Industrial design refers to design works that can be mass-produced, including general and digital application, transportation tools, equipment and instruments, daily utilities and household goods, IT and home appliances, etc.
- Visual Communication Design: Visual communication includes designs of digital graphic creations, identity, posters, packaging and printing (including digital printing) etc.
- Public Space Design: Open space provided for public use, government buildings and certain private establishments.
- This year, for the first time, a cross-category “Inclusive Design Award” will be set up, with the theme of playground equipment or playgrounds.
The total award amounts to NT$3,800,000.
- Aside from the cash prize, the Taipei City Mayor Award /Golden/Silver/Bronze/ico-D Special/IFI Special/Judges’ Special/Social Design Award/Applied Design Award/Inclusive Design Award winners will also receive a trophy and a certificate of recognition; the Sponsors, Distinction and People’s Choice Awards will receive a certificate of recognition.
- Absent or addition of award winners permitted when the judge panel sees fit. The judge panel also reserves the right to change the prize or the award granted.
- The organizer reserves the right to adjust content and quantity of Sponsors Awards.
- The names of all the winners will be announced on the official website to allow businesses to contact them for future design projects.
- Everyone around the world are welcomed to participate individually or as a group (each group is limited to five members) with one member as main correspondent.
- Entries must be original creations of the contestants completed after June 30, 2016.
They invite designers of different fields to participate in the competition to create your own legend as well as the legend for the competition.
Method of Selection：
- Inspection of Qualifications: Inspection on submitted works, including qualifications, documents, format of entries and etc.
- Preliminary Selection: In order to reduce waste caused by printing or mailing of entries, preliminary selection will be conducted via our electronic platform. The organizer is responsible for passing all eligible submissions to the jury. The Judge Panel will evaluate the works based on files sent by entrants and select 10% to 15% of all entries within each category to enter the next round, where 17 to 23 pieces for each category will be selected as finalists.
- Final Selection: For the Industrial Design category, evaluation will be based on the actual physical works, mockups or 3D animations. For the Visual Communication Design category, evaluation will be based on the actual physical work or the poster printout in compliance with sizes/specifications requirements. Public Space Design category evaluation will be based on the mockups, or 3D animations, or poster printouts in compliance with sizes/specifications requirements.
- People’s Choice Award Voting: For works of the finalists, each person gets one vote for each category. The entry with the most votes from each category will be the winner of the People’s Choice Award.
Registration: all registration must be performed online.
- Entrants please proceed to the official website to obtain personal account. After completing on-line registration, you will receive an automatic email of ‘Account Confirmed Notification’. To ensure safe email delivery, please enter into the registration form your email address that is in active use which will receive competition-related information from the event execution body.
- After obtaining the account, entrants can sign on and upload files before the registration deadline. All files should come in the formats of jpg, png, bmp, under 3MB in size and 1190 x 840 pixels in resolution. Please make sure that all entries should not be marked with creators, authors or companies’ names or other symbols/codes that will impair the selection fairness; violation will lead to disqualification from the competition.
- After entrants uploading their entries in electronic files, along with design concept description and agreement of “Intellectual property Rights Disclaimer”, the registration procedure is thus completed. The system will send an automatic email of ‘Registration Confirmed Notification’ to the entrant’s email address.