BirdLife International recruits 01 Head of West Africa Subregional Office – Dakar, Senegal
BirdLife International is seeking to recruit an experienced, passionate and result oriented individual to Head the BirdLife Subregional Office in Dakar, Senegal. The main responsibilities for this position have the following main overarching expectations:
a. Provide strategic leadership for BirdLife’s operations in West Africa and manage the team and BirdLife Sub-regional Office in Dakar, Senegal.
b. Lead the Partnership and Capacity Development Division.
c. Lead the implementation of BirdLife’s conservation strategy and business plan for West Africa
d. Support successful delivery of MAVA Foundation’s conservation goals in West Africa and lead fundraising efforts to capitalise MAVA’s investment.
Specifically, we are looking for an individual with the following skills and ability:
Leadership and Management
- Provide leadership and manage overall operations of the Sub-regional Office in Dakar and ensure integration within the overall BirdLife Africa and Global Secretariat’s systems and procedures.
- Ensure staff in Dakar work efficiently and are well integrated into the Africa and Global BirdLife Secretariat, in delivering their annual work plans.
- Ensure effective risk assessment and mitigation planning for BirdLife team in Dakar, as well as compliance with BirdLife office procedures.
Conservation Strategy and Business Plan
- Coordinate the implementation of a conservation strategy that is informed by BirdLife strategy, Programmes and Africa Partnership priorities for West Africa, ensuring the office is adequately staffed and financed.
- Fundraising and Project Development
- Facilitate fundraising for the implementation of the business planning, including smooth running of the BirdLife operations in Dakar.
- Cultivate relationships with donors and build strategic partnerships for purposes of resources mobilization for the West Africa sub region.
- Lead the development of large project applications for the West Africa sub region.
- Oversee the management of projects and ensure timely delivery of high-quality reports and other project deliverables.
Partnerships and Network Development
- Provide strategic guidance in the effective implementation of the Africa Partnership Development Plan, ensuring that all capacity building resources available at regional and global levels are efficiently deployed.
- Promote the engagement of Supporting Partners in capacity building and programme implementation, ensuring that relationships with Partners are respectful and are aligned to the BirdLife procedures.
- Foster strategic partnerships with relevant state and non-state actors in West Africa (government and intergovernmental organisation, national and regional institutions, development agencies, donor community and private sector) towards achievement of BirdLife’s objectives.
- Promote capacity development of target stakeholders, particularly civil society, communities, government and private sector in West Africa.
- Provide strategic guidance and support synergistic implementation of MAVA’s funded Outcome Action Plans and Projects in West Africa.
- Represent BirdLife and actively ensure relevant participation in the governance and management structures set up for delivery of MAVA’s conservation goals in West Africa.
Image and Reputation
- Raise BirdLife’s profile in West Africa and beyond.
- Represent BirdLife International and the Africa Partnership in West Africa.
- Promote and safeguard BirdLife’s reputation and credibility.
- Provide strategic and operational support to the management of the BirdLife Africa Secretariat as a member of the Executive Team.
- Contribute to the governance of the BirdLife Partnership through inputs to the Council of Africa Partnership (CAP) and its subcommittees.
- Any other duties as delegated by the Regional Director, Africa
Qualification and Requirements:
- Postgraduate qualification in either Natural and social science, international relations, international law.
- Good knowledge, sympathy to and experience in the NGO movement and sharing and understanding of BirdLife values, mission and strategy model and way of working. Excellent understanding of conservation, development and political issues in Africa.
- Significant relevant experience at senior management level.
- Proven skills in programme design, development and management of large scale projects and fundraising; strategic management, networking and negotiation. Ability to act independently and basic financial literacy. Proven skills in managing multicultural teams.
- Flair for diplomacy and excellent communication and networking skills.
- Ability to promote BirdLife to senior level stakeholders in international organisations, government, private sector and civil society.
- Ability to give presentations to international audiences.
- Ability to look at the strategic and operational dimensions of issues and plan accordingly.
- Ability to analyse and find solutions to complex practical problems.
- Good skills in Word, PowerPoint, Excel and internet use.
- Proficiency in spoken and written English, French and possibly Portuguese or Spanish
- Frequent travel, up to 6 weeks per year.
- Application deadline: 04 June 2021
- Location: The position will be based in Dakar, Senegal.
- Salary & benefits: Commensurate with experience and qualifications and in accordance with BirdLife International/Africa Division terms and conditions.
- Length/duration of this position: 2 years, renewable
- Working hours – full time.
- Date when it is the job expected to start: June 2021.
Applications, including a covering letter summarizing the applicant’s suitability for the position, a detailed CV and names and contact addresses of three referees known to the applicant in a professional capacity, should be sent via email before the application deadline to:
firstname.lastname@example.org by 04 June 2021.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Pour postuler, envoyez votre CV et votre lettre de motivation par e-mail à email@example.com