Australia: Grant of Up to $22,000 for Young People in Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry
Deadline: 4 October 2019
Grant applications are now open for the 2020 Science and Innovation Awards for Young People in Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry.
The 2020 Science and Innovation Awards for Young People in Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry is a competitive grants program that supports young people to undertake a project on an innovative or emerging scientific issue, including biophysical and social sciences, which will contribute to the ongoing success and sustainability of Australia’s agriculture, fisheries and forestry industries.
The Awards aim to encourage science, innovation and technology in rural industries and help to advance the careers of young researchers, scientists, producers and innovators through national recognition of their research ideas.
The Science Awards are coordinated by the Australian Bureau of Agricultural and Resource Economics and Sciences (ABARES), in the Australian Government Department of Agriculture.
The Awards aim to
- assist primary producers to develop more competitive, technologically adaptive and self reliant industries
- advance the careers of successful applicants through national recognition and funding of their research ideas
- encourage participation and uptake of science, innovation and technology in rural industries
- attract innovative research proposals that will lead to longer term innovation in the sector
- improve the connection between research and on-farm application with practical benefit.
- Industry Award
- Minister for Agriculture and Water Resources’ Award
There is a number of Award categories on offer, each with a grant of $22,000 inc GST to fund innovative projects.
- Applications are open to young people aged 18 and 35 years who are working, employed or studying in agriculture, fisheries or forestry related industries.
- To be eligible, applicants must:
- be between the ages of 18 and 35 (inclusive) on Friday 4 October 2019
- be Australian citizens or permanent residents (proof required) by Friday 4 October 2019
- be working, employed or studying in an agriculture, fisheries or forestry related industry (including food and sustainable natural resource management) in Australia. Proof such as a letter of employment, scholarship or pay slip may be requested
- not be employed by a sponsoring organisation in the award category they are applying for, and not have an immediate family member (a sibling or parent) who is employed by a sponsoring organisation in their selected award category
- not be employed by an Australian Government agency classified as a Non-Corporate Commonwealth Entity under the Public Governance, Performance and Accountability Act 2013.
- Employees of entities that are classified as Corporate Commonwealth entities are eligible for the Awards.
- Employees of entities classified as Non Corporate Commonwealth entities are ineligible for the Awards.
- Corporate Commonwealth entities are legally separate from the Commonwealth, whereas non-Corporate Commonwealth entities are part of the Commonwealth.
How to Apply
Applications must be submitted online via given website.
For more information, please visit http://www.agriculture.gov.au/abares/conferences-events/scienceawards