Apply for the Summer Institute of Civic Studies 2018 in Germany (Fully-funded)
Deadline: March 1, 2018
Applications are invited for participation in the 2018 Summer Institute of Civic Studies that will take place in Herrsching near Munich, Germany. The Summer Institute of Civic Studies is an intensive, two-week, interdisciplinary seminar bringing together advanced graduate students, faculty, and practitioners from diverse fields of study.
It is part of an effort to build a new inter-disciplinary field of civic studies, aiming to develop ideas helpful to citizens. The notions of civic ideals, civic competence, civic society, civic culture and nonviolent resistance all capture in various ways the perspective of this emerging field.
The Summer Institute of Civic Studies engages participants in challenging discussions such as:
- What kinds of citizens (if any) do good regimes need?
- What should such citizens know, believe, and do?
- Should we reformulate the project of democracy in response to the challenge of populism, and if so, how?
- What ought to be the relationships among empirical evidence, ethics, and strategy?
- Travel costs, accommodations, meals and full event access will be provided for participants.
- Applicants should be from one of the following countries: Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Georgia, Germany, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Moldova, Poland, Russia, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Ukraine and Uzbekistan.
- They should have a long-term interest in developing the civic potential of the region;
- The working language of the Summer Institute will be English. Applicant’s mastery of the English language must be sufficient to read and understand complex texts from multiple disciplines, and to take part in a lively discussion.
All application materials must be submitted in English. The application must include the following:
- A cover letter saying why you want to participate in the summer institute and what you would contribute (maximum 2 pages)
- A curriculum vitae
All application material can be sent online or as an email attachment in DOC or PDF format to email@example.com.
For more information, visit Summer Institute of Civic Studies.