Apply for African Climate Change and Environmental Reporting Awards 2018!
Deadline: 5 August 2018
Are you a passionate journalist in Africa excited about the health of the planet, future generations and the global discourses around low-carbon, climate resilient green economic development pathways? Have you been following international and local conversations on the impact of climate change and environmental pollution on people, communities and economies? If yes, then apply for the 2018 ACCER Awards.
The Awards acknowledges African journalists who dedicate their time and resources chasing stories and highlighting critical environmental issues that help to bring out the plight of the poor and the marginalised in battling various aspects of climate-related impacts, highlight national policy interventions in addressing environmental issues, and showcase best practices and innovative solutions, and lessons learnt in the overall global discourses and interventions.
Launched during the World Environment Day 2018 in Nairobi, Kenya, the 4th Edition of the African Climate Change and Environmental Reporting (ACCER) Awards aims to incentivize and create a critical mass of journalists reporting on the area of climate change and environment.
The 2018 ACCER Awards contest theme “Changing the Narrative on Environmental Challenges in Africa: the Case of Pollution” will guide participants’ entries and awards based on how they demonstrate information delivery in the following specified categories: Print, Radio, Television, Photojournalism and Online (multi-media)
- Cash reward of US$1000
- Full sponsorship (including return air ticket, accommodation and other living expenses) for UN Climate Change Conference on 3 – 14 December 2018 in Katowice, Poland
- Fellowship to participate in high-level reporting and training throughout 2019 courtesy of ACCER Awards Partnership.
- Winners will be announced on 11 October at a Gala Night during the 7th edition of the Climate Change and Development in Africa (CCDA-VII) Conference
The competition is open to all journalists from Africa and from established media houses: private or public-sector media. Freelance journalists are also eligible.
Award Selection criteria will be based on:
- Originality, structure and quality of writing/broadcast
- Creativity : use of relevant interviews and examples to illustrate issues
- Variety of voices/quotes used
- Fluency (quality of the language- engaging writing/radio style, correct spelling and grammar)
- Respect of the prescribed submission format
How to Apply
Applicants can apply online via given website.
For more information, please visit ACCER Awards.