Applications Open for U.S. Embassy Riga’s Small Grants Program!
Deadline: 31 July 2018
Applications are open for the U.S. Embassy Riga’s Small Grants Program to support initiatives that contribute to more open and competitive political and economic systems and the protection of human rights.
- The implementing office at the Embassy is the Public Affairs Office (PAO), which is under the authority of the Ambassador.
- The Ambassador may choose whether to review and approve grant requests.
- Grants are aimed primarily at Latvian NGOs. Grants are awarded on the basis of a determination of need by the PAO staff.
- Funds are disbursed by the Public Affairs Officer or other public diplomacy grants officer.
- Grants should support initiatives such as:
- Promotion of civil society.
- Free flow of information (including support for independent media).
- Transparency in government.
- Public education and advocacy.
- Association building.
- Rule of law and legal reform.
- Conflict resolution.
- Human rights.
- Civic education.
- Market economy.
- Anti-trafficking and anti-corruption awareness campaigns and training.
- Ethnic, minority, and women’s equality.
- American art and culture.
- Grants may not be used for partisan political activity. However, public education, get-out-the-vote, election monitoring and other non-partisan election activities may be supported.
- Grants may be used to promote non-discrimination and tolerance for disadvantaged minorities, but should not be used to promote the particular agenda of a specific group, practice, or lifestyle over any other. Close attention should be given to applications addressing tolerance and human rights (focusing on race, ethnicity, gender, religion, or sexual orientation), volunteerism, and trafficking in persons. Before awarding any grant related to these issues, Embassy staff must brief grantees on the distinction between support for human rights and their inability to advocate for a specific lifestyle or the views of any specific organization.
- Grants cannot support any goals of religious nature.
- Proposed projects should target primarily Latvian audiences.
No single grant may exceed USD 10,000. Regardless of amounts requested, the average awarded amount per project is USD 1,000-3,000.
- The Embassy may award grants to non-profit organizations and individuals.
- Third country organizations and individuals (non-Latvian and non-US) are not eligible for grants.
- Grants are normally made on a one-time basis. A repeat grant to a particular organization may be issued if post determines the activity advances a clearly defined priority objective.
How to Apply
Proposals may be submitted via email at the address given on the website.
Eligible Countries: Latvia and Unites States
For more information, please visit Small Grants Program.