Applications Open for GSMA Mobile for Humanitarian Innovation Fund!
Deadline: 10 August 2018
Applications open for the GSMA Mobile for Humanitarian Innovation Fund that aims to promote innovation in the use of mobile technology to address humanitarian challenges. The Fund is supported by the UK Department for International Development (DFID), the GSMA, and its members.
This funding round will test new technical solutions, catalyse ideas to improve or transform institutional systems, and enable solutions to empower, assist or protect individuals and communities affected by complex emergencies and forced displacement. Project impact should be delivered in Sub-Saharan Africa, Asia and the Pacific, Middle East and North Africa, or Latin America.
The Fund is especially interested in projects – implemented through collaborative partnerships – that can demonstrate long-term sustainability (i.e. commercial, technical, social, economic, environmental) beyond the lifespan of the grant.
- Mobile Enabled Utilities
- Gender & Inclusivity
- Mobile Financial Services
- Digital Identity
- Food Security, Adaptation and Resilience to Climate Change
- Funding of up to £300,000 per project is available, as well as mentoring, networking, project support and promotion.
- Be able to provide formal evidence of a partnership (e.g. contract/MoU) with one or more eligible organisation(s) where the collaborating partners will be involved in implementing the grant project.
- Clearly demonstrate how the proposed project meets one of the Fund’s five focus areas.
- Have a minimum viable product / solution (grant funding cannot be spent on Research and Development at ideation stage.
- Have the necessary rights / permissions required to operate in the selected implementation area as relevant (i.e. refugee settlements).
- Commit to providing the required match funding for the selected grant type.
- Be in satisfactory financial health, have adequate financial systems and human resource capacity to implement the grant project. GSMA may require the applicant to undergo a pre-selection assurance review. Such review, if required will be conducted by an independent organisation chosen by GSMA.
How to Apply
Applicants can apply via given website.
Sub-Saharan Africa: Angola, Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Congo DR, Congo-Brazzaville, Cote d Ivoire (Ivory Coast), Djibouti, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Reunion, Rwanda, Sao Tome and Principe, Senegal, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Africa, Sudan, Swaziland, Tanzania, Togo, Uganda, Western Sahara, Zambia, Zimbabwe.
Asia Pacific Countries: Australia, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Brunei, Burma (Myanmar), Cambodia, Canada, China, Chile, Cook Islands, Fiji, French Polynesia, India, Indonesia, Japan, Kiribati, Laos, Malaysia, Maldives, Marshall Islands, Micronesia, Mongolia, Nauru, Nepal, New Zealand, New Caledonia**, Niue, North Korea, Pakistan, Palau, Papua New Guinea, Peru, Philippines, Russia, Samoa, Singapore, Solomon Islands, South Korea, Sri Lanka, Thailand, Timor-Leste, Tonga, Tuvalu, Vanuatu, Vietnam, United States
Middle East and North Africa: Algeria, Egypt, Libya, Morocco, Sudan, Tunisia, and Western Sahara, Bahrain, Cyprus, Egypt, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Oman, Palestine, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Syria, Turkey, United Arab Emirates, Yemen
Latin America: Brazil, Mexico, Argentina, Colombia, Chile, Venezuela, Peru, Cuba, Ecuador, Bolivia, Costa Rica, Dominican Republic, Uruguay, Guatemala, Nicargua, Honduras, El Salvador, Haiti
For further information, please visit GSMA.