Alima recruits 01 Psychologist Health staff BORNO – M/F
Maiduguri, Mongono (Borno State), Nigeria
Humanitaire (ONG, Associations, …), Projet/programme de développement
Psychologist Health staff BORNO – NIGERIA- M/F
ALIMA in NIGERIA
The humanitarian crisis in Nigeria’s northeast and the Lake Chad region is one of the most severe ongoing crises in the world, now entering in its ninth year and shows no sign of abating. In 2018, at least 7.7 million people are in need of humanitarian assistance in the worst affected states of Borno, Adamawa and Yobe, while more than 1.6 million people remained internally displaced in these three states in November 2017. 86% of internally displaced persons (IDPs) do not believe that the current context allows for a safe and dignified return, and nearly 1 in 4 IDPs have expressed their intent to settle in their current place of displacement instead of returning (OCHA HRP 2018).
An estimated 440,000 children under the age of 5 are malnourished across the 3 most-affected States (HRP, February 2018), while 47% of them are in Borno State (207,521 SAM children, HPC Nutrition Figures, November 2017). Furthermore, The Nigerian Cadre Harmonisé (November 2017) states that in Borno State alone 1,575,414 individuals were facing critical food insecurity. The Maiduguri Metropolitan Center (MC) and Jere Local Government Authority (LGA) are still categorized as “in food crisis” by the IPC (Integrated Food Security Phase Classification).
In 2017, ALIMA continued to implement projects in Muna Garage in Jere LGA, where ALIMA performs general consultations for children under 5 and provides Sexual and Reproductive Health (SRH) to pregnant and lactating women (antenatal and postnatal consultations). ALIMA partners with UNFPA to manage victims of sexual and gender-based violence (SGBV). An Outpatient Therapeutic Feeding Program (OTP) is also available for children under 5 suffering from severe acute malnutrition (SAM) in the clinic, where women and caretakers are trained to screen their children for malnutrition using the MUAC tape.
In Maiduguri MC, where ALIMA is working in partnership with the University of Maiduguri Teaching Hospital (UMTH), the Inpatient Therapeutic Feeding Center (ITFC) manages children under 5 suffering from SAM with medical complications in a 30-bed capacity building.
In the same way, ALIMA has continued working in Monguno in 2017 in 5 IDP camps (GGSS, GSSS, GDSS, Kuya, and Waterboard), in local host communities (Gana Ali, Abari, Bakassi) and in the Maternal and Child Health Center (MCH). In Monguno, ALIMA was the lead agency for the nutrition sector. In the IDP camps and in the host communities, ALIMA delivers primary health care and OTP to children under 5. In the MCH, ALIMA provides sexual and reproductive care including Basic Emergency Obstetric and Newborn care. Based in Monguno, a rapid response team conducted an emergency intervention in Baga and Doro towns (Kukawa LGA) in November 2017 to provide emergency OPD, OTP and SRH in 2 sites. The emergency team also responded to cholera outbreak from August to November 2017 in Maiduguri and Monguno, joining its efforts and coordinating its actions with the State Ministry of Health and partners
In January 2018, ALIMA in partnership with Borno state government via ministry of rehabilitation, Ministry of Health and Hospital management board start the 3 years early recovery project funded by DEU and will be implemented in 4 LGA, Askira-Uba, Hawul, Ngala and Monguno focusing on strenghness of health staff capacity and rehabilitation of hospital and PHC.
ALIMA’s teams in Nigeria represents 324 National staff and 35 expatriates.
Mission Location: Nigeria, Maiduguri and Mongono (Borno State)
· The psychologist is a member of the coordination and is under the direct responsibility of the project Medical coordinator and the project coordinator when he/she is on the field.
· He/she collaborate with the medical, administrative and logistic teams of the ALIMA mission.
MISSION AND MAIN ACTIVITIES
· Staff psychological care activities
· Identifies with the medical team, the different problems and needs of the teams.
· Stress Management
· Organizes discussion groups, to present its missions and the organization of the follow-up
· Facilitation of workshops and training sessions (psychological first aid) for staff.
· Provides psychological care and emotional debriefing for the team, collective and/or individual. He/she ensures the individual and confidential follow-up of the staffs.
· Wellness activities: Monitoring, analysis and reporting
● To trace the acts of the follow-up of the staff
● Weekly activity report of the follow-ups – anonymous –
● Monthly activity report that outlines the main issues and proposed solutions.
● Work in conjunction with COMED if specific situations are referred to it.
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
● Experience and diploma: Master of Clinical Psychology
● Previous experience in humanitarian work
● Training in EMDR therapy is an asset
● An ability to problematize and summarize the main psychological problems and be able to set priorities.
● A good ability to work in a team
● A good part of autonomy and ability to create one’s position in coherence with the objectives and means of the association.
● Good writing skills
● A good knowledge of psycho-trauma
● ability to work in a volatile security environment
Languages: Fluency in English (read, written, spoken) is essential. Local language (will be an asset)
Contract term: contract under French law, 3 months.
Salary: depending on experience + per diem
ALIMA pays for:
· travel costs between the expatriate’s country of origin and the mission location
· accommodation costs
· medical cover from the first day of the contract to a month after the date of departure from the mission country for the employee
· evacuation of the employee
HOW TO APPLY:
To apply, please send your CV and your answers to our job page before: 07/04/2020
Applications are processed in the order of arrival and we reserve the right to close the offer before the term initially indicated if a good application is successful. Only full applications (CV + Cover Letter) will be taken into account.