ALIMA recruits 01 Field Clinical Research Coordinator – M/F
Humanitaire (ONG, Associations, …), Projet/programme de développement
Field clinical research coordinator – Nigeria – M/F
ALIMA in NigeriaOur Project Lassa is about Lassa fever (LF) is a viral disease that can lead to a syndrome of viral haemorrhagic fever (VHF). Lassa virus is distributed throughout West Africa. It is transmitted to human from the rodent reservoir. The disease was first reported in 1969 in the locality of Lassa in Borno State, Nigeria. Lassa fever is endemic and Nigeria and is experiencing seasonal resurgence during the dry season (December to May). Ribavirin (antiviral) has been the recommended treatment since the 1980s, but its efficacy remains weakly evidenced. Moreover, it has adverse effects and is costly for endemic countries. There is currently no vaccine available. WHO consider lassa fever as a priority disease for urgent research and development.
In addition to prevention and case management, the CORAL platform (ALIMA / Inserm) is currently participating in the coordination of several studies to better understand the disease in order to improve case management: an observational cohort study since 2018 (LASCOPE) to describe the clinical, biological course, management and outcomes of hospitalized patients with a diagnosis of confirmed Lassa fever and another nested study (Validate) focusing on the cardiovascular function and ribavirin pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics in Lassa fever patients.
In addition to these studies, CORAL is currently setting up a therapeutic phase II clinical trial due to start in March 2021. This trial in partnership with BNITM, a German research institute, will assess the pharmacokinetics, safety and tolerability of the antiviral drug Favipiravir against the standard ribavirin treatment. It is an important step towards a phase III trial to identify an efficacious drug against Lassa
POST LOCATIONAlima is currently working in 12 countries, among them Nigeria. The FCRC is managed by the Owo Project Coordinator, and functionally supported Emerging infectious diseases research unit (CORAL) in HQ based in Dakar.
MISSION ET OBJECTIVESThe FCRC is responsible for conducting research activities on Lassa fever in Owo. She/He is in charge of supervising data collection, ensuring study protocol and procedures are enforced, coordinating research human resources and logistics for the studies.
TASKS & RESPONSABILITIESFCRC works under the supervision of the Project Coordinator and the international CORAL scientific team and in close collaboration with the laboratory manager and the hospital staff. He/she:
Coordinate· Coordinate and supervise the work of the Clinical Research Team of the ICRC (Physicians and Nurses), ensure that their work is done in accordance with the protocol and procedures of the studies
· Ensure the quality and continuity of information exchange between the VHFL and the ICRC (compliance with procedures, quality of communication between the two departments)
· Participate in the steering committee and the operating committee of the various studies
· Report to the coordination team any problems or difficulties encountered in the field and discuss ways to resolve them
Manage · Ensure the quality of data collection tools (CRFs, registers, databases) and compliance with procedures
· Ensure that the delivery of information to participants and the collection of consents is in accordance with the clinical good practice, protocol and procedures of the study; Collect and secure all consent forms (onsite)
· Ensure data transfer (CRFs) to the Methodology Center (PACCI Abidjan), ensuring the rhythm given by CORAL coordination
· Maintain the general management tools of the study (TMF and eTMF)
· Supervise the internal monitoring and perform the external monitoring data; Ensure the administrative management of studies (salaries, incentives, HR management …)
· Respect and enforce confidentiality towards participants in the different research projects
· Respect the operating rules of the ICRC (hygiene, infection prevention and control)
Collaborate· Organize and facilitate the relations and the exchange of information between the emerging infectious diseases coordination team (Paris, Bordeaux), the sponsor of the studies and the nigerian collaborators on field
· Ensure effective collaboration with other departments of the hospital (emergency room, dialysis unit, pediatrics, gynecology …) concerning the lassa fever studies in Owo;
· Participate in the Lassa fever response plan provided by the ALIMA medical team, under the supervision of the ALIMA medical coordinator;
IMPLEMENTS PREVENTION MEASURES AGAINST ABUSE OF POWER, GENDER-BASED AND SEXUAL VIOLENCE● Ensures that community members are aware of the policy and have access to information (complaint escalation mechanism, focal point…).
● Participates as needed in the organization of training and awareness sessions
● Applies the standards related to the prevention of abuse of power, gender-based and sexual violence.
● Contributes to creating and maintaining a fulfilling and protective environment for his/her team, community members and partners involved in the project.
PROTECTION OF BENEFICIARIES AND COMMUNITY MEMBERSLevel 3: The incumbent is responsible for the application of Research processes and may be required to conduct field visits. She/he. He/she may therefore be in contact with children and/or vulnerable adults. Therefore, a criminal record check or the presentation of a certificate of good conduct will be required. In situations where the impossibility of providing a criminal record or a certificate of good conduct is established, a declaration on honour will be requested.
EXPERIENCES & COMPETENCES
Experiences:● Health diploma (doctor, nurse, pharmacist) is an advantage
● Master degree in Public Health (Epidemiology or International Health)
● Complementary training in clinical research is an advantage
● Experience with medical international NGO, an asset.
● Team management and supervision skills.
● Knowledge of Donors and experience in Financial Reports.
● Perfect knowledge of MS Office package, especially Excel.
● Knowledge of Saga (Finance software) is appreciated
● Experience in clinical research
● Clinical care experience is an advantage
● Experience in a developing country and / or field experience
Qualities required:● Rigorous, autonomy and organized
● Adapting Capacities and Proactivity
● Ability to work in multicultural context
● Risk Alert, and good communication
● Sense of communication,
● diplomacy and flexibility are essential;
● Management abilities;
● Spirit of initiative ;
● Teaching skills;
● Rigor and organization are essential.
Languages:● English mission based
CONDITIONSContract term: contract under French law, 6 months, renewable.
Salary: depending on experience + perdiem
ALIMA pays for:– travel costs between the expatriate’s country of origin and the mission location
– Accommodation costs
– Medical cover from the first day of the contract to a month after the date of departure from the mission country for the employee
– Evacuation of the employee
DOCUMENTS TO BE SENT:To apply, please send your CV and Cover Letter on our job page before 4/07/2021
Applications are processed in the order of arrival and we reserve the right to close the offer before the term initially indicated if a good application is successful.
Only full applications (CV + answer to questions) will be taken into account.
Only accepted applications will be contacted.Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.