External Publication of Job Posting 50630234
Job Posting Title : POLICY OFFICER (WATER AND SANITATION)
Start Date : 14.05.2019
End Date : 17.06.2019
Reference Code : 10001400 – 03
Job Title : POLICY OFFICER (Water and Sanitation)
The African Union, established as a unique Pan African continental body, is charged with spearheading Africa’s
rapid integration and sustainable development by promoting unity, solidarity, cohesion and cooperation among
the peoples of Africa and African States as well as developing a New Partnership worldwide. Its Headquarters is
located in Addis Ababa, capital city of Ethiopia.
Water is an indispensable commodity for Africa’s development including the realization of Agenda 2063. It is a
factor of production in agriculture, an input in energy generation, crucial for transport and above all essential for
human survival. Water is also a scarce resource in most parts of Africa especially the northern, western and
southern African parts of the continent. This phenomenon is also exacerbated by the effects of climate variability
and climate change.
Given the limited amount of water and its skew distribution in Africa, it is critical to manage water sustainably.
This entails management of transboundary watercourses and underground water too as they all play crucial
roles in the water supply and value chain. The management of transboundary watercourses requires
appropriate institutions and government structures to prevent potential conflicts among nations.
Water can also be a source of diseases if subjected to contamination and pollution. It is required for human
hygiene and healthy living. The provision of clean water if important for a healthy continent and transformative
policies and programmes are needed to realize the Africa Water Vision 2025 and the Sharma el Sheikh
Research and data collection for informed decision-making processes is also fundamental for sustainable water
resources management in Africa. This goes hand in hand with the need for monitoring and reporting on the
implementation of various Water instruments and on tracking the realization of SDG 6: : Ensure Availability and
Sustainable Management of Water and Sanitation for all.
In seeking to achieve its objectives, the African Union invites applicants, who are citizens of Member States to
apply for the post of Policy Officer.
Job Title: Policy Officer (Water and Sanitation)
Post Level: P2
Department: Department for Rural Economy and Agriculture
Duty Station: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Supervisor: Head, Division of Environment, Climate Change, Water and Land Management
Number of Position: 1
2. Major Duties and Responsibilities:
Specifically, the Job holder shall perform the following tasks:-
• Support in preparation of reports, budget and work programmes related to Water and Sanitation in
consultation with the Head of Division;
• Assist in the formulation of appropriate strategies, policies and plans of action related to Water and
• Assist in building awareness on Water and Sanitation issues in Africa.
• Promote publication of guidelines and fact sheets on the scientific, political and economic aspects of
Water and Sanitation.
• Assist in the development of the African Common Positions on Water and Sanitation and contribute to
• Liaise with Member States, RECs, and relevant Stakeholders including International Organizations,
Development Partners on issues of Water and Sanitation;
• Support formulation of project and programme proposals and their implementation.
• Assist in the coordination of various efforts on Water and Sanitation, ensuring linkages and synergies/
complementarities of different initiatives, sectors and collaborations;
• Facilitate Member States and RECs in the implementation of measures for climate change adaptation
and mitigation in the Water and Sanitation sector including those related to Nationally Determined Contributions
(NDCs) and the entire Paris Agreement on Climate Change.
• Support production and submission of periodic reports of activities under Water and Sanitation;
• Provide technical inputs to applications for resource mobilization for Water and Sanitation.
• Support the Commission in its coordination efforts of global Water and Sanitation talks and negotiations;
• Support policy research in Water and Sanitation; and
• Undertake any other duties assigned on Water and Sanitation as well as on the mandate of the
Commission in general.
3. Educational qualifications and experience required:
Candidates must have a minimum of:
a Bachelor’s Degree in Water and Sanitation, Natural Resources Management, Sustainable Development or
any other relevant field, and at least 3-4 years of work experience in assignments related to Water and
a University Diploma in Water and Sanitation, Natural Resources Management, Sustainable Development or
any other relevant field, and at least 5 years of work experience in assignments related to Water and Sanitation.
Furthermore, candidates are required to have:
a. Experience with international, Intergovernmental, regional and national policy processes related to
Water and Sanitation;
b. Knowledge of on-going regional and experience in global Water and Sanitation negotiations is an asset
with a track record of diplomatic negotiations;
c. Knowledge on rivers and lakes basin issues related to water resources management
d. Experience in sanitation matters at national level.
A Master’s degree in Water Resources Management, Sanitation, Sustainable Development or Natural Resource
Management will be an added advantage.
4. Skills and competencies required:
• Computer literacy;
• Good planning and organizational skills;
• Excellent verbal, analytical and writing skills (drafting and reporting), advocacy and presentational skills
is an asset.
• Excellent interpersonal skills;
• Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment;
• Ability to work under pressure and to establish and maintain effective working relationships with
colleagues of different nationalities and culture backgrounds, in order to achieve organizational goals.
• Good communication skills;
• Knowledge of African Union Commission systems and procedures.
5. Language Requirement:
Proficiency in at least one of the African Union working languages (English, French, Arabic, Portuguese);
knowledge of other working languages would be an added advantage.
6. Tenure of Appointment:
The appointment will be made on a regular term contract for a period of three (3) years, of which the first twelve
months will be considered a probationary period. Thereafter the contract shall be renewable every two years
subject to good performance and deliverables.
7. Gender Mainstreaming:
The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
1. Least Representative Countries
Candidates from the following least represented countries are encouraged to apply: Eritrea, Central African
Republic, Cape Verde, Comoros, Congo (DRC), Djibouti, Equatorial Guinea, Liberia, Mauritania, Namibia,
Sahrawi Arab Republic, Madagascar, Sao Tome and Principe, Seychelles and Somalia.
Indicative basic salary of US$31,073.00 (P2 Step 1) per annum plus other related entitlements e.g. Post
adjustment 46% of basic salary, Housing allowance $ 22,932.00 per annum and education allowance (100% of
tuition and other education related expenses for every eligible dependent up to a maximum of US$ 10,000.00
per child per annum), for internationally recruited staff and $3,300 per child per annum for locally recruited staff.
1. Attach detailed and updated curriculum vitae/resume including three (3) referees with good knowledge.
Of candidate’s work, please, provide referees’ contact details – telephone and e-mail addresses.
2. Copy of valid passport.
3. Certified copies of educational qualifications – degrees, diplomas and certificates, where applicable (Not
4. More than 5 Documents in PDF Format, and not exceeding 1 MB).
4. Please be aware that only complete applications will be considered.
5. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
How to apply
Applications must be made through the AUC E-recruitment Website
http://www.aucareers.org no later than 17 June 2019.
Applications are pre-screened by the system according to the published requirements of the job opening on the
basis of the information provided in the application. In relation to the requirements of the job opening, applicants
must provide complete and accurate information pertaining to their qualifications, including their education, work
experience, and language skills. Each applicant must bear in mind that submission of incomplete or inaccurate
applications may render that applicant ineligible for consideration for the job opening. Initial screening and
evaluation of applications will be conducted on the basis of the information submitted. Applications cannot be
amended following submission. Candidates under serious consideration for selection will be subject to a
reference-checking process to verify the information provided in the application.
Directorate of Administration and Human Resource Management
African Union Commission
Regular (Long Duration)