Technical assistance program to support economic reforms in Ethiopia
AFD (Agence Française de Développement) is France’s inclusive public development bank. It commits financing and technical assistance to projects that genuinely improve everyday life, both in developing and emerging countries and in the French overseas provinces. In keeping with the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals, AFD works in many sectors — energy, healthcare, biodiversity, water, digital technology, professional training, among others — to assist with transitions towards a safer, more equitable, and more sustainable world : a world in common. Through its network of 85 field offices, AFD currently finances, monitors, and assists more than 2,500 development projects in 108 countries.
AFD has approved in May 2019 and signed in Addis Ababa in June 2019 agreements related to a budget support operation for the Federal and Democratic Republic of Ethiopia to support the implementation of the second Growth and Transformation Plan (2016-2020).
The operation comprises a Public Policy Loan (PPL) and a Technical Assistance component (‘TA program’). The PPL almost entirely aligns with the World Bank Growth and Competitiveness Development Policy Financing approved in December 2018, including most related prior actions and triggers, i.e.:
- Pillar I: Maximizing Finance for Development including Public Private Partnership (PPP), energy, logistics and telecom
- Pillar II, component 2.1 : Business environment
- Pillar III, component 3.2: Improving State-Owned Enterprise (SOE) management, transparency and accountability
The TA Program has been designed to assist the Ministry of Finance (the “MoF’) in economic reform implementation, especially the PPP and SOE governance reforms.
The TA Program will be supervised by a resident Technical Director, mobilized by Expertise France, who will work closely with the relevant State Minister’s and directorates.
The TA Program is composed of three (3) components:
- a PPP program support;
- a capacity development program on SOE governance, to be partially implemented through assistance to the PEHAA (Public Enterprises Holding Administration Agency); and
- a contribution to the economic reforms partially through a World Bank executed Multi Donor Trust Fund (MDTF).
The capacity development program on SOE governance will be conducted with the assistance of a resident project coordinator who will be mobilized by Expertise France and based at PEHAA, as SOEs expert to assist PEHAA’s executive management in the steering of the capacity development program.
In line with the implementation of the TA program, AFD is seeking a resident Technical Director, mobilized by Expertise France to assist the MoF in the supervision of the TA program and provide expertise to the MoF on components that are defined by AFD support agreement with MoF.
The Technical Director will have the following responsibilities:
- Assist MoF in the implementation of the TA program (45% time)
- Advise MoF on strategic issues (20% time)
- Technical director of the TA program (35% time)
As assistant to the MoF for:
- the capacity development program on SOE governance and,
- the ‘other economic reforms’ envelope including supporting the public finance management reform; and support to the industrial policy and private sector development,
The Technical Director will assist and support the MoF on a daily basis, regarding the operational management, knowledge management, technical management and financial management of the envelopes dedicated to the MOF.
As advisor to the MOF
- Support research and analysis on Public Financial Management, Private Sector Development and Industrial policy, including benchmarking efforts in applicable countries, provide advisory on an ad-hoc basis to MoF relevant offices.
As TA technical Director Lead the finalization of the TA Program Implementation Manual (PIM)
Ensure knowledge sharing among experts involved in other components of the TA program (for instance, components 2-a and 2-b have common components (strategic assessment of selected SOEs) and could benefit from cross-fertilization of ideas and good practices)
Ensure consistency and good relationships with the TA program stakeholders
Ensure the deliverables and reporting documents are provided in time, as per the TA management program and reporting guidelines (e.g. inception report, action plan, quarterly report and annual report)
Perform quality control and validity on deliverables
Develop and maintain trust-based relationships with government counterparts, and donors stakeholders (World Bank, KfW, DFID, USAID, African Development Bank etc) to ensure good collaboration and effectiveness among donors and avoid duplication of efforts regarding technical assistance for PPP and SOEs governance.
Experience / Qualifications
- Minimum of 5 years’ professional work experience in public policy, public financial management, private sector development, industrial policies, development economics. Knowledgeable on Ethiopia’s economic policies as well as international experience on development-oriented projects.
- Experience with AFD (or other donors) financed projects (knowledge of AFD procurement procedures is a plus). Experience in economic advisory services in a consulting firm would be a plus.
- Fluency in English (oral and written communication skills). Fluency in Amharic would be a significant plus.
The candidates will have to demonstrate the following abilities:
- Excellent operational and stakeholder management skills
- Excellent at building and managing effective relationships
- Outstanding emotional intelligence skills
- Ability in influencing, coaching and delivering change through others
- A creative and entrepreneurial approach to overcoming barriers and making change happen; and the ability to cope in emotionally demanding environments.
The Technical Director is expected to be based in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia for 3 years starting from February 2020.
Please send a CV and Cover Letter to firstname.lastname@example.org