Science by Women Visiting Research Fellowship Program 2017
Deadline: September 20, 2017
The Women for Africa Foundation (FMxA), in line with its mission of contributing to the development of Africa through its women, is launching the 3rd Edition of SCIENCE BY WOMEN programme, with the aim to promote African women’s leadership in scientific research and technology transfer and to foster the capacity of the research centres in their home countries.
The main goal is to enable African women researchers and scientists to tackle the great challenges faced by Africa through research in Health and biomedicine, agriculture and food security, water, energy and climate change, mathematics, Information and Communication Technologies as well as Economic Sciences.
Successful applicants will present innovative research projects that respond to the needs of African populations and that are likely to be transferred into products or patents for commercial exploitation, or services and public policies which have a social impact in terms of people’s welfare and quality of life, as well as an economic impact in terms of companies’ productivity and competitiveness.
Successful candidates will have access to the following benefits:
- Flight from their centre of origin to the host institution and back;
- Living allowance of 2,400 Euros gross per month to cover accommodation, personal expense and health and occupational accident insurance coverage.
- Candidate must be a woman;
- Be a national of an African country;
- Must have a PhD with at least 3 years of post-doctoral professional experience;
- Have contractual relationship with a university or a public or private non-profit organization based in Africa dedicated to significant scientific research in the areas indicated;
- Possess excellent academic record and proven track of relevant research experience;
- Have solid working knowledge of English and
- Proven experience leading a research group.
Applications will be subjected to a highly competitive selection process by the Women for Africa Foundation’s Scientific Committee. The jury will evaluate the following criteria:
- The candidate’s research career, curriculum vitae and experience as independent research group leader;
- The project’s scientific-technical quality and innovative potential;
- The expected and measurable economic or social impact of the research project;
- The candidate’s plan to communicate and disseminate the project’s results;
- The proper consideration of ethical issues where appropriate.
Complete the online application form. Only applications submitted in English via the Science by Women microsite will be accepted. They must include the following documents:
- Letter of Interest (max. 1 page)
- Full curriculum vitae
- Fully filled form
- Brief but concise description of the project to be developed in the Spanish host centre (max. 2 pages)
- A letter of the prospective host group’s stating its interest to support the project proposed by the candidate.