Deadline: 31 January 2017
Open to: international candidates and candidates from Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan, with a Bachelor’s degree
Scholarship: full scholarship which provides a generous monthly stipend, covers accommodation for one year, health insurance and travel costs from students’s home country and China
The Yenching Academy of Peking University offers a Master’s degree in China Studies. This specially designed, English-taught program aims to push the study of China beyond the boundaries of traditionally Humanities and Social Sciences disciplines. It creates space to incorporate the diverse backgrounds and experiences of program participants into the study of ancient, modern and contemporary China, effectively acting as an incubator for innovative approaches to past, present, and future Chinese transformations. At the core of the program lies its emphasis on interdisciplinarity and the value it assigns to thinking about China’s development from both Chinese and international perspectives. Scholars design their study experience by choosing one of six academic concentrations, and pursue a number of core courses and electives, including field studies.
Working in small groups encourages Scholars to actively engage in dialogue between academic disciplines, as well as with their peers across concentrations, creating an environment conducive to the exchange of ideas and mutual learning. Complementing academic courses, Chinese language training is provided for all international students, in accordance with their level of proficiency, while foreign language courses are offered to Chinese students.
- International candidates and candidates from Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan for the cohort that matriculates in September 2017;
- An outstanding academic record;
- English proficiency;
- A record of extracurricular achievement, community engagement and social responsibility;
- Leadership potential;
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in any field, awarded no later than August 31 of the year in which they wish to enroll;
- Preference is given to candidates who are 25 years old or younger as of August 31 in the year in which they wish to commence the program.
- For students from countries where military service is mandatory, the age preference is 27 years old or younger.
Successful applications will show how the Yenching Academy program is relevant and valuable for the applicant’s career plans.
The Yenching Academy provides a generous postgraduate scholarship that covers tuition fees, a round-trip airfare between Scholars’ homes Beijing, accommodation, and living costs on Peking University’s campus. The Academy offers a residential program aimed at creating a community of enthusiastic, globally oriented young innovators in the heart of China’s top university. Such close proximity to the academic infrastructure of Peking University provides a unique opportunity to participate and fully immerse oneself in the life of the university.
Enrolled international students and students from Hong Kong, Macao, and Taiwan spend 12 months in residence at the Yenching Academy. For students from Mainland China, the program lasts 24 months. Coursework is completed during the fall and spring semesters, and it is supplemented by additional study during the summer. Upon completion of their year in residence, students have up to one more year to finalize projects and defend their thesis. During this period, students in good academic standing may apply for a limited number of Teaching, Research, or Administrative Assistantships.
How to apply?
In order to apply please fill the application.
Applicants will be asked to create an account on the Yenching Academy admissions portal and submit the following materials in English:
- Completed online application;
- Curriculum vitae / Resumé;
- Personal statement;
- Most recent official transcript(s);
- Two letters of recommendation;
- International English proficiency test score (IELTS/TOEFL/Cambridge/CEFR)
For more information please visit the official web page.