United Nations World Tourism Organisation (UNWTO) Ethics Award 2018
Deadline: September 30, 2017
The UNWTO Ethics Award is a category that has been incorporated into the UNWTO Awards in 2016 and is conferred by the World Committee on Tourism Ethics to tourism companies and trade associations that have signed the Private Sector Commitment to the Global Code of Ethics and have reported on its implementation. As a subsidiary organ of the UNWTO General Assembly, the World Committee on Tourism Ethics is the independent body responsible for overseeing the implementation of the UNWTO Global Code of Ethics for Tourism (GCET), a set of principles designed to guide sustainable tourism development.
- The UNWTO Awards will take the form of a trophy or a medal which will be accompanied by a certificate. No financial compensation will be given in connection with the Awards.
- Applications for the UNWTO Ethics Award can be made by any company or association that has signed the Private Sector Commitment to the Global Code of Ethics at an official signing ceremony and complies with the criteria indicated;
- The submitted initiatives are expected to have attained a certain degree of implementation. Non-implemented initiatives shall not be considered;
- In support of the application, each candidate must provide recommendation letters from three independent referees who can confirm the veracity of the application;
- Current Members of the WCTE and staff members of the UNWTO shall be ineligible to submit an application or receive the UNWTO Ethics Award. Nor shall be considered initiatives which have or have had UNWTO’s or the Committee’s participation in their design and/or implementation.
The major criteria for the Award for selection are:
- Have responded to at least one of the Reporting Questionnaires received from the WCTE;
- Social impact of the initiative;
- Proven track record in CSR policies with the commitment of the highest representatives of the company/association and involvement of staff;
- Exportability and proved international outreach of the initiative;
- Local impact and community involvement;
- Alignment with the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals.
- Download and complete the application form
- Please provide the names and contact information of three referees who can confirm their support of your application. Each referee should submit a recommendation letter in English to support the entry. Exceptionally, UNWTO will accept recommendation letters in languages other than English provided they are accompanied by an English translation. Please note that the applicant is responsible for collecting, translating and sending the recommendations letters. UNWTO will only contact the referees for matters related to the application if deemed necessary.
The list underneath provides the dates relevant to the UNWTO Awards. UNWTO, at its sole discretion, may adjust these Guidelines as well as the Timetable of events at any time and in any way deemed necessary in order to carry out the procedures herein established.
- September 30, 2017: Deadline of reception of applications
- First week of November: Announcement of the Awardees
- January 15, 2018: 14th UNWTO Awards Forum
January 17, 2018: 14th UNWTO Awards Ceremony & Gala Dinner