Communications and Public Relations Specialist
|Entreprise/Structure: Plan International
Ville, Pays: Dakar, Sénégal
Référence cDiscussion: 1016811
Niveau d’études minimum réquis: Bac + 5 ou plus
Expériences professionnelles demandées: 5 ans
Date limite de dépôt de dossier: 14-12-2016
Email de réception des candidatures : Non précisé
Détails de l’offre:
Plan International is an independent, with no religious, political or governmental affiliations organization, that works in 52 developing countries across Africa, Asia and the Americas. We strive for a just world that advances children’s rights and equality for girls.
The Communications and Public Relations Specialist position is a key position that will be responsible of developing and managing the strategies and activities of Plan International Senegal in the area of communication and public relations. This role includes engaging with Government, local, international, regional institutions and multilateral organizations to support empower and protect girls, boys, women, men, families and communities. The position will also work jointly with the program team on advocacy in relation with Plan International Senegal area of intervention (Health, Livelihood, Education, Protection and Gender).
This position develops, manages and implements Plan International’s strategies for advocacy and communications.
A propos du poste
Under the supervision of the Deputy Country Director – Program, the Communications Specialist will coordinate, advise on and implement Communication and Public Relations strategies projects and activities and to contribute to Plan International Senegal becoming a recognized voice for child protection in Senegal. This is done through:
Developing and delivering of Plan International’s communication strategy
Providing leadership in reinforcing Plan International’s brand, reputation and public relations
Ensuring that all projects include a communication element during their design and implementation
Supporting technically and building capacity of the country team to establish a strong external and internal communication function
The position plans the annual budget and operational activities of the communication departments and supervises one staff, the information and audio visual coordinator
Responsabilités typiques – Principaux résultats attendus de ce poste
– Plan International Senegal’s institutional image is raised to the required global standards and quality
Regular and positive mention of Plan International Senegal in national media to positively portray its impact on the lives of children and their communities
– Production of regular communication materials and stories for news and views to tell the Plan International Senegal story to both internal and external audiences
– Development, production and dissemination of press releases, publications, flyers, posters and other PR and information/communication material destined for external audiences including donors and sponsors
– Contribute to sharing and learning about Plan International Senegal’s program work through efficient use of internal and external communication channels and systems to ensure what Plan International Senegal does is well communicated.
– Support the organisation’s campaigns, ensure media contribution, support and take initiatives towards campaign objectives in the country.
– Liaises with Regional Communications team to share experiences and best practices towards campaign aim.
Gender, Child Protection and DRM are mainstreamed
– Ensure that Communication and PR activities meet Plan International child protection standards and standards for ethical journalism
– Ensure gender mainstreaming into communications and public relations activities and maintain gender sensitivity towards staff to avoid discrimination
– Efficient management of communication in crisis/disaster situations including development of Situation Reports (Sitreps) to create the right environment.
– With the support of the DRM focal point, reports on emergency/disaster situations then according to required standards
Comply with Plan’s Child Protection Policy at all times to safeguard and protect children from all forms of abuse.
– Produces campaign reports and media type productions and promote girls through case studies and assist NOs in productions about girls.
– Ensure that all indicators related to the standard 8 of Plan International Child Protection Policy on advertisement, media and communication on children are met
– Ensure the risk assessment are met and mitigations’ actions are in place for all communications’ activities that will involve the participation of children
– Ensure all media partners and visitors we are working with are briefed and abide by the child protection policy of Plan International Senegal
– Develop communication and PR strategies and annual plans, to improve communication both internally and externally and to promote Plan International Senegal to key country audiences.
– Lead the development and implementation of strategies for Plan International’s engagement with national, international and regional institutions, multilateral organizations for achieving the vision for change.
– Work with the program and sponsorship teams to ensure that relevant experiences and insights arising out of Plan – International’s programmes feed into the various advocacy and communications strategies to encourage national and regional action in favour of the well-being of boys, girls, women and men in vulnerable communities.
– Contribute to the preparation and implementation of the Country strategic plans and Resource mobilization plans.
Attends and contributes to Extended Country Management Team meetings upon ECMT request
Programme Development and Integration
– Provide leadership for the production of high standards organizational communications outputs, including Plan International Senegal’s materials for internal communications platform; publications (newsletters, annual report, etc.) and marketing materials; website and social media management.
– Work with the program team and Extended Country Management team (ECMT) to manage and contribute to the provision of advocacy and communications expertise, advice and delivery (as appropriate) to Country Strategy (CS)
– Contribute actively to the design and preparation of fundraising proposals as appropriate
Support the production of Plan International Senegal’s corporate program, projects and sponsorship reports/documents to meet the required standards
– Provide leadership for organizing special events for donor engagement, government relationship building and media relations.
– Support program and advocacy initiatives of Plan International Senegal with technical coordination and advice to their communication plans to meet the required standards
– Undertake high-level representation for Plan International Senegal at conferences, seminars and other events.
Manage and contribute to the development of Plan International Senegal’s partnerships in relevant fields of expertise and influence including strong and innovative relations with media.
– Build and maintain relationships, partnerships and networks with advocacy, gender and communications specialists in other organizations, agencies and institutions.
– Good relationship and networking with media partners for effective collaborations to meet the organisation’s objectives
– Organize the roll-out of country and regional initiatives on Communications and PR at country level to promote Plan International Senegal
– Develop and manage relationships with national media, journalist networks as well as NGOs and government authorities in the area of communication to ensure Plan International Senegal’s communications reach the right audience
– Facilitate media including international visits at country level to ensure the objectives of such visits are well met
Capacity Building (Internal)
– Work with the Extended Country Management Team (ECMT) and Project Managers to identify and address internal knowledge gaps particularly relating to public relations and communications (including through training, accompaniment and joint working).
– Strengthen capacities of field staff in collecting and writing case studies, testimonies and photo shooting
– Encourage cross-organizational collaborative working and the production of joint strategies and plans.
– Support increased advocacy, gender and communications capacity in-country.
– Supports measures to strengthen the capacity of staff to communicate using a variety of channels and for different audiences to support the effective dissemination of Plan International programmes and projects.
– Leverages learning across Plan, and the professional development of communication staff.
Organizational and People Management
– Manage external consultants and interns as appropriate
– Contribute actively to ensure that Plan International Senegal provides high quality and timely reports on funding commitments to donors and others
– Lead the development of budgets and cash flows for the communications teams and oversee spending within the budget to deliver agreed priorities
– Set up and ensure that data bank and resource centre have updated information for storytelling and provide information for internal and external audiences.
– Proper documentation of Plan International Senegal information is available at all times
– Build unity in-house through information sharing and participation
Résolution des problèmes :
– Produce adequate local guidelines to ensure smooth performance of communications and public relations functions in the organization as per requirements organizational policies and procedures and provides sensitization to staff to ensure compliance
– Provide quick and adequate response to negative public relations crisis
– Dealing with issues arising from inadequate communications and public relations
– Risk analysis to mitigate likely communication and public relations problems and issues
– Analyse issues for decision making to address communications and public relations issues and only refer high level problems to a higher manager where applicable
– Be a champion for change for all Communications
Connaissances, compétences, comportements et expérience nécessaires pour atteindre les objectifs du poste
Qualification and Experience
– Master’s degree in journalism, Mass Communications and Public Relations, in development studies, political science or a related field
– At least, five (5) years of relevant professional experience including management and implementation of communication strategies, and communications and marketing products
– Strong experience in writing both in French and in English
– Experience of developing and implementing communication strategies that bring about significant policy and/or practice change
– Proven experience of working in partnership with other NGOs and NGO networks
– Good knowledge of the communication and public relations profession
– Child Rights/Child Protection
– Knowledgeable in working with local and international media and liaising media activities in a national and regional environment.
– Knowledge in building individual and organizational capacity in communications and PR skills.
– An understanding of Child protection, gender, human rights and development programs (livelihood, health, education etc.) youth and child participation, and community development issues and processes is desirable
– An excellent understanding of the dynamics of national civil society organisation (CSO), Government, international, regional and multilateral institutions
– Knowledge of modern communication platforms, understanding of news values and demonstrable success in generating media interest and coverage
Skills and Behaviours
– High level communication skills, including experience of communicating effectively across cultures and with diverse audiences, both verbally and in writing
– Excellent writing, editing and reviewing skills both in English and in French
– Promotes innovation and learning
– Communicates clearly, effectively and enthusiastically
– Ability to facilitate participative processes that aim to decision making and agreement
– Strong competencies to plan, prioritize, and execute autonomously with strategic approach
– Ability to deliver to tight deadlines and budgets
– Creativity and innovation
– Behaves consistently in his/her approach to work and decision-making
– Strong negotiation, facilitating and influencing skills
– Ability to understand different cultural contexts and marketing / PR realities related development issues would be an advantage.
– Able “to put in practice” concepts and strategic thinking
– Strong team building and motivational skills
– Proven ability to undertake planning, programme development and evaluation
Environnement et exigences physiques
This position entails 30% travelling to the field to support communities, staff and partners in the Program Units.
How to apply
To apply, click on the link and send by 14th December 2016 your application with:
– A comprehensive cover letter
– A comprehensive and clear CV that includes the contact of two of your referees, one of whom should be your current employer.
Location : Dakar
Role : Communications and Public Relations Specialist
Grade : D2
Monthly gross salary (range): 1.296.057 – 1.400.000 XOF
Females candidates are encouraged to apply
Plan International Senegal is an equal opportunity employer and is engaged in child protection and gender equity. Our recruitment process demonstrates those values. Therefore, the successful candidate must abide by the organization child protection policy and code of conduct.