Machel-Mandela Fellows Programme 2017 For Young Africans (Funded)
The Brenthurst Foundation invites applications from young graduates for the Machel-Mandela Fellows Programme, named in honour of former South African President Nelson Mandela and his wife Graca Machel. The Machel-Mandela Fellows programme aims to sharpen the Brenthurst Foundation’s focus on Africa’s burgeoning youth population and helps nurture Africa’s future leaders.
The programme will be available full-time for a minimum of six months and the selected candidate will be expected to take up the appointment in January 2017. The fellow may be from Africa or abroad and will be based at the Brenthurst Foundation’s headquarters in Parktown, Johannesburg. Fellows will work directly with and assist the Foundation’s staff on a range of projects and activities, some of which will require foreign travel.
- Under 30 years of age
- An Undergraduate or Masters level degree
- Excellent spoken and written English. African and other languages an asset
- Excellent communication skills
- Enthusiastic and reliable, a self-starter who requires minimal oversight and management
- Able to balance deadlines and attention to detail
- Fluency in all basic IT skills
- Copy-editing and proof-reading skills an asset
- A passion for Africa and a keen interest in new thinking and strategies to strengthen Africa’s economic performance
- Broad knowledge of African politics and economics
- Familiarity with the work of the Brenthurst Foundation
An all-inclusive stipend per month and accommodation (subject to Foundation policy) will be provided. Other work-related expenses may also be covered subject to agreement with the Foundation
How to Apply
Please address your application to Ms Leila Jack email@example.com quoting ‘Machel-Mandela Fellow’ in the subject line.
- An up-to-date CV with references’ details
- A cover letter – no more than 500 words, outlining your interest in the position and the skills you can bring to bear
- A writing sample – this can be any piece of work, for example an essay or a published article, of any length.
- The earliest date you would be able to start
- Details of where you saw the programme advertised
Successful applicants will be contacted on or before November 3, 2016
For more information visit Brenthurst Foundation