L’UNICEF recrute 01 Regional Temporary Appointment (TA) for Cold Chain and Logistics for Immunization – WCARO
Ville, Pays: Sénégal
Référence cDiscussion: 1024011
Niveau d’études minimum réquis: Bac + 5 ou plus
Expériences professionnelles demandées: 8 ans
Date limite de dépôt de dossier: 28-06-2017
Publié le 14/06/2017 à 18h47min54s
Email de réception des candidatures : Non précisé
Détails de l’offre:
Regional Temporary Appointment (TA) for Cold Chain and Logistics for Immunization – UNICEF WCARO
Job Number: 505138 | Vacancy Link
Work Type : Temporary Appointment
UNICEF works in 190 countries and territories to protect the rights of every child. UNICEF has spent 70 years working to improve the lives of children and their families. Defending children’s rights throughout their lives requires a global presence, aiming to produce results and understand their effects. UNICEF believes all children have a right to survive, thrive and fulfill their potential – to the benefit of a better world.
For every child, [insert tagline] The situation of children in West and Central Africa is still challenging, but through strong political leadership in the region and with the support of donors, UNICEF is confident that it can help make a difference for children and for their communities.
Immunization is a fundamental intervention for reducing preventable maternal, newborn and child death. UNICEF is committed to immunization, as we want that all children and women benefit fully from their right to immunization, prioritizing those most disadvantaged. As immunization services expand to include new vaccines and strive to reach larger populations in more remote areas, systematic constraints of health systems increase.
While national governments, United Nations agencies and other development partners allocate significant resources to strengthening the immunization supply chains, performance often does not meet the expectations of these stakeholders or of the end users of the health supplies. For examples, obsolete and inefficient immunization supply chains, management information systems, development of the health workforce and management teams hinder to achieve expected results.
Supply chains present a particular challenge. As vaccine volumes are expected to quadruple between 2010 and 2020, the need for meaningful, systematic improvements in immunization supply chain infrastructure and systems, within the context and complementary to wider health system supply chains, is critical.
Action is needed to address these challenges and to improve performance so that immunization coverage can be increased, equity improved, and health impact realized. This in turn means more focus on the supply chain to ensure proper practices of vaccine management and distribution.
How can you make a difference?
Under the supervision of the Regional Cold Chain and Logistics specialist and under the overall supervision of the Regional Immunization Advisor, the purpose of the position is to provide technical support to countries in WCARO with special focus on priority countries to improve Immunization supply chain (ISC) management through Effective Vaccine Management (EVM), Cold Chain Equipment Optimization Platform, Temperature monitoring, Vaccine stock management and functioning National Logistics Working Groups.
To qualify as a/an [champion or advocate] for every child you will have…
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
In order to achieve the objectives above, the incumbent is expected to provide technical support to countries on the following areas:
a. EVM assessment
The expected countries are Benin, DR Congo, Guinea Bissau and The Gambia.
• Undertake the Effective Vaccine Management (EVM) assessments lead by Unicef
• Develop the EVM based Improvement Plan (cIP) and ensure the link to cMYPs and HSS
• Support the national EPI team and partners to implement cIP towards better performance across the supply chain standards
• Monitor implementation and report progress against programmatic indicators
b. Cold Chain Equipment Optimization Platform (CCEOP)
The targeted countries are Benin, CAR, Chad, The Gambia, Liberia, Mauritania and Togo.
• Support and/or coordinate the whole process of the CCEOP application as per Gavi 2017 guidance on CCEOP. It should include:
o Cold chain inventory and its report
o Rehabilitation plan
o Maintenance plan
o CCE deployment plan
o Segmentation of health facilities
• Support the national team to complete the CCEOP application form and budget to the highly acceptable level
• Follow up with countries on Cold Chain Equipment purchase and deployment through dashboard
• Support the CCEOP implementation in close collaboration of Programme Division and Supply Division
c. Temperature studies
The targeted countries are CAR, Congo, Guinee, Mauritania, Gabon and Sierra Leone.
• Assist the national logisticians to conduct temperature mapping for each cold rooms at all levels using WHO tool (protocol, training, data analysis, ..) in selected countries
• Prepare a technical report for the first (at least) temperature mapping conducted based on method, results and recommendations and built capacity to report on future temperature mapping
• Coordinate the temperature monitoring study in selected countries
o Develop or adapt a protocol and determine the sites (routes)
o Organize a workshop on the protocol, methodology and monitoring tools
o Coordinate the preparation and collection of the study packets which include data loggers, vaccine samples and monitoring tools
o Analyze the data utilizing the data analysis tool
o Prepare a technical report for each temperature monitoring study based on method, results and recommendations
d. Immunization Supply Chain (iSC)
• Assist countries in New Vaccine application and/or HSS development
• Provide technical advice and support to the Immunization team to strengthen routine immunization supply chain
o Vaccine stock management and optimize vaccine wastage
o Cold chain equipment used for the storage and transport of vaccines
o System Redesign
• Support the establishment or strengthening of the National Logistics Working Groups (NLWG)
• Built synergies between Immunization and Supply units to strengthen the supply chain capacity
e. LMIS and Data for Management (D4M)
• Provide regular feedback on Vaccine stock and Cold chain management
• Support trainings on iSC data management for decision making
Management, Deliverables and Timeframe
The incumbent is expected to produce the following deliverables
• EVM assessment report and data set available, and cIP developed
• Progress report on Improvement Plan implementation available on quarterly basis
• Report on temperature monitoring studies available
• Temperature mapping documented
• Technical support provided to strengthen and monitor the Immunization Supply Chain management in countries
• iSC country data are analyzed and feedback provided on a regular (monthly) basis
• Trip report after each country visit submitted timely (max 2 weeks after the trips)
Any other duties as advised by the supervisor related to activities in the area of immunization supply chain.
• Advanced University degree in Cold Chain and Logistics, Supply Chain Management or equivalent area is required.
• At least 8 years’ experience in logistics, cold chain, supply chain; of which at least 4 years in developing countries
• Knowledge of the latest development in the field of temperature studies and/or Gavi applications is considered highly desirable
• Experience in conducting health supply chain assessments, EVM assessments, GDP audits would be an added value
• Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office applications including Excel, Word and Power Point
• Good analytical, oral, & written communication skills
• Demonstrated ability to work in a multi-cultural environment
• Fluency in English and French is required. Another official UN language is an asset.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
Our core values of Commitment, Diversity and Integrity and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
This position is classified as “rotational” which means the incumbent is expected to rotate to another duty station upon completion of their tour of duty,
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified candidates from all backgrounds to apply.
Opening Date Wed Jun 14 2017 09:00:00 GMT+0100 (Afr. centrale Ouest) GMT Daylight Time
Closing Date Wed Jun 28 2017 23:55:00 GMT+0100 (Afr. centrale Ouest)
Apply here: https://www.unicef.org/about/employ/?job=505138