L’ONU recrute 01 Humanitarian Affairs Officer / Reports
Localisation Dakar / Sénégal
Expiration 04 Juillet 2017
Description de l’offre
Posting Title: Humanitarian Affairs Officer/Reports (Two Positions- TJO), P-3 (Temporary Job Opening)
Job Code Title: HUMANITARIAN AFFAIRS OFFICER
Department/ Office: Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs
Duty Station: BAMAKO; DAKAR
Posting Period: 28 June 2017-4 July 2017
Job Opening number: 17-HRA-OCHA-81489-J-MULTIPLE D/S (X)
Staffing Exercise ID: N/A
United Nations Core Values: Integrity, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity
Organizational Setting and Reporting
These positions are located in the Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) in Mali, Bamako and the Regional Office for West and Central Africa based in Senegal, Dakar. The Humanitarian Affairs Officers report to the Head of the Coordination Unit, with oversight by the Head of Office.
Within delegated authority, the Humanitarian Affairs Officer will be responsible for the following duties:
– Monitors, analyzes and reports on humanitarian developments, disaster relief/management or emergency situations in assigned area.
– Organizes and prepares studies on humanitarian, emergency relief and related issues.
– Organizes follow-up work, including interagency technical review meetings to support policy development work and decision-making on important issues.
– Drafts and prepares regular situation papers/reports highlighting relevant operational factors affecting the humanitarian situation and response efforts.
– Prepares or contributes to the preparation of various written reports, documents and communications, e.g. drafts sections of studies, background papers, policy guidelines, parliamentary documents, briefings, case studies, presentations, correspondence, etc.
– Assists in the preparation, implementation and monitoring of the Office’s humanitarian work plan, usually expressed in the Common Humanitarian Action Plan (CHAP) and Consolidated Appeal Process (CAP).
– Ensures appropriate monitoring and reporting mechanisms; provides information and advice on a range of related issues.
– Reviews and provides advice on policy issues related to safeguarding humanitarian principles and ensuring the effective delivery of humanitarian assistance.
– Partners with other humanitarian agencies to plan and evaluate humanitarian and emergency assistance programmes and help ensure that latest findings, lessons learned, policy guidelines, etc. are incorporated into these activities, including gender-related considerations.
– Provide substantial support to sector / cluster working groups as required and facilitate exchange on cross cutting issues.
– Establishes and maintains contacts with government officials, other UN agencies, non-governmental organizations, diplomatic missions, media, etc.
– Support advocacy initiatives on issues impacting humanitarian needs and response efforts through the collection of information, liaison with humanitarian partners, government officials, the media, etc.
– Manages the production of appeals for international assistance; ensures the proper use and spending of donor contributions channeled through OCHA.
– Undertakes and provides support to technical assistance and other field missions, e.g. participates in field trips to undertake in-depth reviews of specific country work mechanisms.
– Organizes and participates in working groups, meetings, conferences, consultations with other agencies and partners on humanitarian and emergency relief-related matters.
– Performs other duties as required.
Knowledge of a range of humanitarian assistance, emergency relief and related humanitarian issues, including approaches and techniques to address difficult problems. Analytical capacity and in particular the ability to analyze and articulate the humanitarian dimension of issues which require a coordinated UN response.
Ability to identify issues and judgment in applying technical expertise to resolve a wide range of problems. Ability to conduct research, including ability to evaluate and integrate information from a variety of sources and assess impact on the humanitarian rights situation in assigned country/area. Ability to work under extreme pressure, on occasion in a highly stressful environment (e.g. civil strife, natural disasters and human misery); ability to provide guidance to new/junior staff.
Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations.
Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
PLANNING AND ORGANIZING:
Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
An advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in political science, social science, international studies, public administration, economics, engineering, earth sciences or a related field, is required. A first-level university degree in combination with an additional two years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
A minimum of five years of progressively responsible experience in humanitarian affairs, emergency preparedness/contingency planning, crisis/emergency relief management, rehabilitation, development, or other related area is required.
Two years of relevant experience at the international level is required, Humanitarian experience in the field in emergency situations (complex emergency or natural disaster) is required. Experience reporting on humanitarian crisis and humanitarian financing is desirable. Experience in the region is desirable. Experience in the UN common system is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the position advertised, fluency in both English and French is required. Knowledge of another UN official language is desirable.
Evaluation of qualified candidates may include a desk review of the applications, an assessment exercise and/or a competency-based interview.
United Nations Considerations
The United Nations shall place no restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of equality in its principal and subsidiary organs. (Charter of the United Nations – Chapter 3, article 8). The United Nations Secretariat is a non-smoking environment.
Candidates will be required to meet the requirements of Article 101, paragraph 3, of the Charter as well as the requirements of the position. The United Nations is committed to the highest standards of efficiency, competence and integrity for all its human resources, including but not limited to respect for international human rights and humanitarian law.
Candidates may be subject to screening against these standards, including but not limited to whether they have committed, or are alleged to have committed criminal offences and/or violations of international human rights law and international humanitarian law.
THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING). THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS’ BANK ACCOUNTS.
If you are interested in this job position, please click on the link below:
Coordonnées de l’offre
Click on the link below: https://careers.un.org/lbw/jobdetail.aspx?id=81489