Intern with UN Volunteers
Localisation Dakar / Sénégal
Expiration 01 Mai 2017
Description de l’offre
The United Nations Volunteers (UNV) programme is the UN organization that contributes to peace and development through volunteerism worldwide. Volunteerism is a powerful means of engaging people in tacking development challenges, and it can transform the pace and nature
of development. Volunteerism benefits both society at large and the individual volunteer by strengthening trust, solidarity and reciprocity among citizens, and by purposefully creating opportunities for participation.
UNV contributes to peace and development by advocating for recognition of volunteers, working with partners to integrate volunteerism into development programming, and mobilizing an increasing number and diversity of volunteers, including experienced UN Volunteers, throughout the world. UNV embraces volunteerism as universal and inclusive, and recognizes volunteerism in its diversity as well as the values that sustain it: free will, commitment, engagement and solidarity.
UNV?s five global programme areas (Securing access to basic social services, Community resilience for environment and disaster risk reduction, Peacebuilding, Youth, ational capacity development through volunteer schemes) seek to address the most pressing issues of today, and build on the considerable technical expertise and networks that UNV has developed in nearly half a century of working at the grassroots to policy levels in more than 140 countries.
Early 2016 UNV has opened a Regional Office in Dakar for West and Central Africa. The office is composed of 7 persons: 5 thematic specialists, a Programme Assistant and a regional manager. The Regional Office is involved in volunteer mobilization; programme management and establishing partnerships to promote volunteerism for the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals.
UNV has a mandate on youth and a Youth Volunteering Strategy that provides the overall strategic direction. The Youth Global programme, one of the five global programmes, is part of UNV?s strategic approach to advocate for volunteerism, integrate volunteerism into development planning and mobilize volunteers. Through enhanced and more strategic programmatic support to UN partners.
The overall aim of UNV Youth Programme is to facilitate the engagement of youth in global peace and sustainable human development through volunteerism, bringing the voice of youth into the development discourse and helping young people to realize their full social, economic and human potential.
Therefore, by working in partnership with governments, youth-led and volunteering organizations, universities, civil society, UN agencies, and private sector entities on research, trend analysis with regards to global youth volunteering and evidence-based advocacy, the contribution of youth volunteering to peace and sustainable human development (SDG agenda) can be better understood and considered by policymakers, practitioners, and the public alike, leading to the inclusion of youth in decision-making processes.
Duties and Responsibilities
Functions / Key Results Expected:
The intern will be working under the Youth Global Programme and in close collaboration with the Youth programme Specialist.
Summary of key functions:
– Assisting in any support in the implementation, and follow-up arrangements of the Global;
– Stay abreast of key events in the relevant programmatic area and regularly share information with the Headquarters and UNV Regional Offices;
– Tasks related to communication and visibilization of the Regional Office and the Global Programme in relation with Agenda 2030;
– Promote the mainstreaming of RO Youth-SDGs-Volunteerism approach in to the global programmes and youth led organizations network agendas.
The results will help to scale up the project implementation.
As an applicant, you should be able to demonstrate an interest in the field of development and respect the principles of the United Nations Charter;
The desire to work with and gain the confidence and respect of people with different language, national and cultural backgrounds is an essential part of working in the UN system.
You should also be interested in global mobility, as well as adaptability to varied physical and other environments.
Required Skills and Experience
– Enrolled in a Masters Studies International Affairs, Sociology, Communications or equivalent
-Prior experience in an international organization is an asset
– Experience with research and/or project management
Conditions of the internship:
– UNDP will not pay for the internship; all expenses connected with it will be borne by the intern;
– UNDP accepts no responsibility for costs arising from accidents and/or illness or death incurred during the internship;
– Interns are responsible for securing adequate medical insurance for the duration of their internship with UNDP and must provide a medical certificate of good health prior to starting the internship. UNDP will not reimburse the medical insurance of the intern.
– Any costs arising from accidents and illness incurred during an internship assignment will be the responsibility of the intern;
– All the expenses connected with the internship will be borne by the intern, sponsoring Government or institutions;
– The intern is responsible for obtaining necessary visas and arranging travel to and from the duty station where the internship will be performed;
– Interns are not eligible to apply for, or be appointed to, any post in UNDP during the period of the internship;
– Interns are not staff members and may not represent UNDP in any official capacity.
– Applicants should indicate which months they are available part- and/or full time and when they complete their studies;
– The application should contain:
– Motivation letter specifying reasons why candidate is seeking the internship and what is expected from the experience;
Recent Curriculum Vitae;
– Official letter from the University confirming enrollment and specifying expected graduation date (for students).
To apply to this position folow the link below
Coordonnées de l’offre
Click here to Apply https://jobs.undp.org/cj_apply.cfm?cur_job_id=71970