Apply to join the Global Young Academy 2017 / 2018 (Attend AGM 2018 in Thailand)
Deadline: September 24, 2017
The 2017 call for new members to join the Global Young Academy in 2018 is now open. The Global Young Academy (GYA) is looking for young scholars who combine excellence in research with a demonstrated passion for delivering positive social impact. Applications are invited from young, leading, early-to-mid career researchers, scholars, and scientists from around the world who combine the highest level of research excellence with a demonstrated passion for delivering impact.
Being a Global Young Academy member is a formative experience. The GYA provides its members with opportunities to develop their skills in leadership, motivation, cultural awareness, and self-presentation. Founded in 2010, the Global Young Academy is an international organisation of young researchers with 200 members from 70 countries on six continents. Members are selected for five-year terms based on their academic excellence and commitment to applying science and scholarship for the benefit of society.
Each GYA member is expected to attend the GYA Annual General Meeting each year and is also expected to actively contribute to one or more of the organisation’s programmes, which include participation in policy development, promotion of National Young Academies, and supporting science and education at the international level. The GYA is an active organisation, and being a member requires a time commitment on each member’s part.
In the event that applicants are selected as new GYA members, they should be available to attend the next Annual General Meeting, which is scheduled from 7 – 11 May 2018 in Pattaya, Thailand.
Applications are sought from young, independent scholars who combine the highest level of research excellence with a demonstrated passion for delivering impact.
- Research fields: The call is open to all scholars working in any research-based discipline, including the sciences, medicine, engineering, social sciences, the arts and humanities.
- Excellence: Applicants must be able to demonstrate a high level of excellence in their discipline.
- Impact: The Global Young Academy is committed to a broad range of programmes around the world to support young scholars, promote science to a broad audience, engage in policy debate, and foster international and interdisciplinary collaboration. Applicants should provide evidence of interest or experience in one or more of these areas.
- Age/career point: Applicants should be in the early years of their independent careers. The majority of the GYA’s members are aged 30-40 and the typical period from completion of a PhD or similar degree is 3-10 years. Applicants falling significantly outside these ranges may be considered under exceptional circumstances.
- Diversity: We encourage applications from all qualified candidates. Applications from women, researchers in the social sciences, arts and humanities, scholars working in government, industry, and non-governmental sectors, and from candidates in regions where the GYA has no current representation are particularly welcome.
All applicants are judged against 3 factors:
- ‘academic’ excellence, judged by: research record; publications and citations; career history; awards and prizes; and any other relevant information provided.
- ‘non-academic’ excellence, judged by: engagement with industry, business, government and the general public; successful commercialization or widespread adoption of research; starting a successful research-based company, and other relevant factors provided.
- commitment to ‘service’, as shown by: demonstrated support for young researchers at a national level; launching or holding a senior role in a national young academy; public communication of science or scholarship; and commitment to the goals of the GYA.
Applications should be completed personally by the candidate and will consist of:
- Online application form. This form asks for basic biographical information and include several short essay questions. The following documents must be uploaded with your online application, as one single PDF document:
- CV. maximum length of 4 pages.
- Declaration / signature of applicant – download Declaration
- Letter of support.
For more information, visit Global Young Academy.