DAAD Masters Scholarships for Public Policy and Good Governance 2018 (Study in Germany)
Deadline: July 31, 2017
The German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) is now accepting applications for the DAAD Helmut-Schmidt-programme Masters Scholarships for Public Policy and Good Governance. This programme is designed to further qualify future leaders in politics, law, economics and administration according to the principles of good governance and to prepare them in a praxis-oriented course for their professional life. The programme is open for very well qualified graduates with a first university degree (bachelor or equivalent) who want to actively contribute to the social and economic development of their home countries. The scholarships are offered both for young graduates without professional experience and for mid-career professionals.
Very good graduates with a first university degree get the chance to obtain a master’s degree in disciplines that are of special relevance to the social, political and economic development of their home country. The knowledge and experience acquired in Germany should enable the scholarship holders to later contribute to the establishment of democratically oriented economic and social systems aimed at overcoming social differences.
In addition, the training at German institutions of higher education should qualify the scholarship holders to become partners in the political and economic co-operation with Germany. With this programme, DAAD intends to contribute to the support of good governance and civil society structures in selected partner countries and regions.
The scholarships are awarded for selected master´s courses at German institutions of higher education listed below.
- Hertie School of Governance, Berlin: Master of Public Policy (MPP)
- Universität Duisburg-Essen: Master of Development and Governance
- Willy Brandt School of Public Policy at the University of Erfurt: Master of Public Policy (MPP)
- Leuphana Universität Lüneburg: Public Economics, Law and Politics (PELP)
- Hochschule Osnabrück: Management in Non-Profit Organisations
- Universität Osnabrück: Master of Democratic Governance and Civil Society
- Universität Passau: Master of Governance and Public Policy
- Universität Potsdam: Master of Public Management (MPM)
DAAD pays a monthly scholarship rate of currently 750 €. The scholarship also includes contributions to health insurance in Germany. In addition, DAAD grants an appropriate travel allowance and a study and research subsidy as well as rent subsidies and/or allowances for spouses and/or children where applicable. DAADscholarship holders within the Helmut-Schmidt-Programme are exempted from tuition fees.
- The scholarship scheme is open to graduates in the field of social sciences, political sciences, law, economics and in public administration from Africa, Latin America, South Asia and Southeast Asia, from countries in the Middle East as well as from the Ukraine (see list of countries).
- The study results so far, knowledge of English (and German), political and social engagement, a convincing description of the subject-related and personal motivation for the study project in Germany and the expected benefit when returning to the home country.
- The latest university degree should have been obtained during the six years prior to the application for the scholarship.
- Applicants cannot be considered if they have stayed in Germany for more than 15 months at the time of application.
- All master´s courses have further additional requirements that must be fulfilled by the applicants in any case.
- Applications have to be submitted in German or English.
- Please indicate that you are applying for the DAAD Helmut-Schmidt Programme (Master’s scholarships for Public Policy and Good Governance).
- Please submit your applications for the selected master`s courses and for the DAAD scholarship to the respective universities only (not to DAAD). Applications sent to the DAAD will not be forwarded to the respective course/university. The necessary documents are listed below:
- DAAD application form for research grants and study scholarships (please fill in electronically and not written by hand)
- Motivation letter containing a precise description of the applicant’s academic/professional and personal reasons for choosing this scholarship programme and the universities, two pages maximum
- Full curriculum vitae including information about precise field of study and, if applicable, description of job experience
- Copies of acquired university degrees (an explanation of the grading system has to be attached) • Copies of the transcript of records
- Copy of the school leaving certificate/high school diploma which entitles holders to study at a university in their home country
- Recent language certificates (German and English) • Two letters of recommendation by university professors and/or current or former employers of recent date, supplemented by signature, official letterhead, stamp (not in a sealed envelope)
You are allowed to submit your application for up to two master’s courses listed above.
For more information, visit DAAD Scholarship.