Deadline: January 13, 2017
Canon Collins Trust invites applications for scholarships to study for the Postgraduate Certificate, Postgraduate Diploma and/or the Master of Laws (LLM) by distance learning at the University of London in 2017. These scholarships are made possible by the generosity of University of London International Programmes.
In order to be eligible for a scholarship, applicants must be in possession of the necessary qualifications required for admission to the programme. Please see here for information on the admission requirements of the university. Note that you do not need to be admitted to the programme before applying for the scholarship, but you will need to apply separately for admission if you are selected for a scholarship.
Canon Collin’s Trust requires applicants for this scholarship to be:
- a national of, or have refugee status in, one of the following countries: Angola, Botswana, Lesotho, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, South Africa, Swaziland, Zambia, Zimbabwe
- normally resident in one of these countries
- in possession of the necessary qualifications required for admission to the programme currently employed in full or part-time work;
- able to commit a minimum of 10 hours to study per week.
- Academic Record and References Applicants should have a minimum of a good undergraduate degree (in any field, not necessarily law) if they are applying for admission to the LLM and excellent references.
- Work Experience Canon Collins will favour applications where there is a demonstrable continuity between the applicant’s current profession, career ambitions and this course of study.
- Relevance Canon Collins will favour applicants who can describe why this choice of course fits with their ambitions to make a difference in their sector. Please note that applicants need to be clear on their intended area of specialisation, and be able to articulate how this will enable them to meet their career goals.
- Leadership Competencies Canon Collins will be asked to demonstrate how they have developed their leadership skills in the workplace, academia or in their personal life. Priority will be given to those who can describe an occasion/s in which they have used their skills to formulate a shared vision or strategy, build strategic relationships and networks, support peers and mentor others, and/or deliver results that have led to innovation and step changes. Canon Collins places a great deal of emphasis upon the leadership potential of individuals.
- Commitment to Country/Community Canon Collins will favour applicants who most clearly show a desire to be part of and to contribute to the future prosperity of southern Africa.
- Application form The application form matters. Applicants should:
- Demonstrate a good command of the English language;
- Answer all of the questions properly and completely; and
- Complete the application and deliver all supporting documents in a timely manner
There are four scholarships available in 2017. The Trust makes awards on the basis of available funding and suitable applicants. Scholarships waives full tuition and examination entry fees. Scholarship recipients have between 1 to 5 years to complete the qualification, and continued registration on the course is dependent upon satisfactory progress and academic reports.
How to Apply
The online application form can be found on the Canon Collins Trust website.
You will find full instructions online when you start a new form. All applicants are required to submit the following supporting documentation:
- ID document (the following are acceptable: passport, birth certificate, driver’s license) • Academic transcripts, if applying for LLM
- Degree certificates, if applying for LLM, or school/other certificates
- Reference letters from two referees
- A copy of your two most recent payslips.
Note: Ideally, you should submit an academic reference and a reference from an employer. If you are applying to start at PG Certificate level and have not attended university you may supply two work references. You should ask your referees to write a reference that relates to your application for this award and reflects how you meet the selection criteria below. It should outline your strengths as an applicant, demonstrate your capacity to study at the level required, and identify your potential impact in the future.
For more information, visit
Accueil / Opportunies For English Speakers / Canon Collins Trust & University of London Scholarships For Master of Laws by Distance Learning