Apply to join the UNMGCY
Humanitarian Affairs Working Group as
Regional Focal Point
Deadline: December 3, 2017
Calling experienced youth to join UNMGCY Humanitarian Affairs Working Group (HAS). Apply to be a regional focal point for this important working group. They are inviting youth from Pacific, South and Central Asia, Western Europe and North America, South and Eastern Africa, Latin America and Caribbean and Middle East and North Africa to join their working group as Regional Focal Points.
The UN MGCY, is the United Nations General Assembly mandated, official, formal and self organised space for children and youth to contribute to, and engage in, certain intergovernmental and allied policy processes at the United Nations. The HAS working group participates in the post World Humanitarian Summit Compact for young people in humanitarian settings and ECOSOC HAS processes using Advocacy, Knowledge, Policy engagement and youth action as key areas of work.
Regional Focal Points Tasks
- Facilitate developing a work plan for the region of the WG in line with “Policy Design, Implementation, Monitoring and Accountability” framework along the four areas of work;
- Facilitating the participation and preparation of formal inputs (statements, papers, reports, etc) related to the regional elements of their respective process and engagement avenues in coordination with the working group coordination team, the working group, the UN MGCY coordination team and the assembly, and where appropriate, with other stakeholders, as per the process and procedures document;
- Conduct outreach with relevant children and youth entities in the region, with the help of the regional caucus and according to the outreach strategy, to inform them of the engagement, and invite them to join in and share relevant materials;
- Coordinate regular and timely regional WG calls;
- Attend the monthly WG call, provide updates on activities taking place in the region, and promote engagement opportunities for the members to take part in.
Governance and Oversight
- Are in their work being overseen by the Global Focal Points, who step in if the functioning of the RFPs is impaired. In such a case their first action would be to remind the RFPs of their role and responsibilities. If the mandate and responsibilities of the RFP are not observed and executed properly, GFPs can then temporarily take over the communication and role of RFPs and, as a last step, call for selection of new Focal Points;
- Contributing to a monthly newsletter and update to the WG and GFPs on the regional activities;
- Report on the implementation of the work plan;
- Adhering to the UN MGCY’s Processes and Procedures.
Applications are invited from experienced youth from Pacific, South and Central Asia, Western Europe and North America, South and Eastern Africa, Latin America and Caribbean and Middle East and North Africa.
Candidates must meet the following criteria:
- Be an active member entity of the UN MGCY or an active CYI member where CYI is the nominating entity;
- Must be able to commit to the roles and responsibilities of the respective Focal Point positions as outlined above;
- If nominated by CYI, the person cannot be holding another mandated position. A member entity can however hold multiple focal point positions.
See the Terms of Reference Regional Focal Points – Humanitarian Affairs here.
Complete the online application by 3rd December, 2017.
For more information, visit UNMGCY Humanitarian Affairs.