Apply for the Next Einstein Forum
Ambassadors Programme 2018
Deadline: Rolling basis until countries listed are filled
Call for NEF Ambassadors, if you know a tech/science champion in your community, tell them to apply! The Next Einstein Forum (NEF) is working to build a targeted team of 54 young Ambassadors, one from each African country. NEF Ambassadors are the young science and technology champions who drive the NEF’s local public engagement activities while growing their own careers through the NEF’s partnerships that offer opportunities for mentorship and collaborations with established researchers.
In particular, the NEF Ambassadors attend the biennial NEF Global Gatherings. The next NEF Global Gathering will be held in 26-28 March 2018 in Kigali, Rwanda.
While the Program is open to all, emerging scientific or technology leaders with a visible public profile and a passion to share information with the community are encouraged to apply. This opportunity will be attractive to anyone who is looking to work in science and technology, communications, policy and diplomacy.
Ambassadors receive a ticket and paid travel expenses to the NEF Global Gathering event in Kigali, Rwanda from March 8 to 10, 2018 as well as sound non-financial benefits from participation, including high-impact exposure to Nobel Prize winners, Heads of State and representatives from leading global corporations.
Other Ambassador benefits include:
- Leading NEF Africa Science Week, with the support of NEF staff and resources.
- Ambassadors will receive significant exposure to the NEF readership community.
- Have the opportunity to network with other experts and NEF Ambassadors and NEF Fellows, as well as top scientists, social scientists and technology leaders from around the world.
- Have the opportunity to influence science, social science and technology policy through NEF articles and documents and share their own work.
- Get the chance to pitch their own projects and ideas to high profile NEF members and contribute to the establishment of a positive global view of science in Africa.
- This round of selection is open to: Angola, Djibouti, Libya, Morocco, Mozambique, Tunisia, Sao Tome & Principe, Sierra Leone, Seychelles, South Sudan and Swaziland
- 42 years of age or less as of 31.12.2017 (Born after 1 January 1975)
- Resident/citizen of an African country with a history of leadership and engagement in the residing community
- Advanced studies or professional certificates, personal projects, demonstrated entrepreneurial achievements and similar – a PhD is not required
- Applicants are encouraged from all fields of science, including basic sciences, STEM, health and social science fields.
- Outstanding writing and keen critical thinking capabilities, and be comfortable working in a collaborative environment.
- Demonstrated passion for raising Africa’s profile in science and/or social science
- Having an active profile in the community of work/study and/or online including social media
- Able to clearly communicate to an audience in English or French.
The selection process will aim for the following:
- At least 40% of selected NEF Ambassadors are women
- At most one NEF Ambassador from each African country
The selection process will take into account the following criteria:
- (20%) Advanced studies or professional certificates, personal projects, demonstrated entrepreneurial achievements and similar – a PhD is not required
o Outstanding academic qualifications, as measured by the standards of the particular academic discipline. Examples of notable achievements include:
- Publication record
- Prizes and other awards, such as especially distinguished fellowships or memberships in prestigious academic circles (for example, in high-ranking committees, bodies, academies, etc.)
- Independently raised funding from outside sources in a competitive process
- Number of patents
- The type and number of invited talks at international conferences
- Download NEF Ambassador Application Form ENG FRA
- Download NEF Ambassador Call for Applications ENG FRA
For more information, visit NEF Ambassadors Programme.