Apply for the IFFR Trainee Project for Young Film Critics 2018
Deadline: November 1, 2017
IFFR is inviting applications for the 20th IFFR Trainee Project for Young Film Critics, taking place during its 47th edition (January 24 – February 4, 2018). The IFFR Trainee Project for Young Film Critics, created in 1998, is a talent development programme that offers young, motivated and talented professional film critics from outside the Netherlands a chance to travel abroad, cover a major international film festivals and, in particular, get acquainted with International Film Festival Rotterdam and the broad range of independent cinema it offers.
Young and upcoming film critics from outside the Netherlands get less opportunities to explore and sharpen their knowledge and views on independent and experimental cinema. International Film Festival Rotterdam recognizes the important role of film criticism and supports journalistic talent with a trainee project for the next wave of film journalists: the IFFR Trainee Project Young Critics.
As a Trainee you are part of the editorial office of the festival, you will have 2-3 expert meetings with experienced film critics, will cover the festival for your own affiliation, write a final festival report for the FIPRESCI website and of course enjoy the full pleasure of being at International Film Festival Rotterdam.
What to Expect
- Complimentary IFFR 2018 press accreditation;
- Budget hotel accommodation in Rotterdam;
- Partial refund of travel costs when traveling from outside Europe;
- A full schedule. IFFR wants its trainee film critics to really participate in the festival and interact with other industry professionals. The trainees will form a team, hosted by the IFFR Press Office and the festival editorial staff. You get to explore all aspects of IFFR (screenings, exhibitions, Q&A sessions, and debates) as part of the program and to cover for your own media;
- If your participation is successful and you have published reports that meet IFFR standards (in both quality and quantity) you get the opportunity to visit the next edition of the festival as an accredited journalist
- Applicants should be under 30 years;
- Have fluent command of the English language (written and spoken);
- Have demonstrable experience in film criticism (print or online media);
- Not yet established enough to profit from facilities as attending international film festivals outside your country;
- Have agreement(s) with relevant print and/or online media to publish reports on International Film Festival Rotterdam 2018.
If you like to join the programme during IFFR 2018 please send the following to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Motivation Letter
- Three samples of your recent work
- Recommendation Letter
- Information about your affiliate (circulation, copies/page views etc.)
The deadline for submission is November 1, 2017.